Views
Helpful
Replies

RTU vs. DLU

rcoote5902_2
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

Last year we migrated from a 4.1(3) CallManager to a new CUCM 7.1.3 appliance.  We recently discovered a few 7942G phones still boxed with the 1 RTU license (Part# CP-7942G-CH1).

Is there any way to use the RTU license on the new CUCM server? ie: convert the RTU to DLUs?

Also, going forward if/when we order new phones, I assume we should be ordering phones without RTU's and buying DLU's as needed?

Thanks,

Rob

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Rob,

Hope all is well!

You might be able to contact;

licensing@cisco.com

with your pertinant contact/billing/order info and have them re-issue

the appropriate DLU's for the 7942's. It's worth a try

Going forward the licensing model will be DLU's for 5.x,6.x and early

7.x versions and with 7.1(5) and 8.x Cisco are introducing a new licensing model

called User  Connect Licensing. This does away with the existing node/DLU  licensing model

and moves to a user based model.

Just to confuse things a little further

Cheers!

Rob

Things are well Rob!

I can't find where I had read it, but I recall that phones without the RTU were cheaper to compensate for the new licensing (DLU) system.  It seems it would make more sense for us to order phones with no licenses and just add DLU's as needed...does that make sense?

Are phones without RTU's available or am I mistaken?

Rob

Hey Rob,

You are right on the money my friend (on all counts!) and this makes perfect sense.

The pricing differences are listed in this doc

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Licensing Pricing Model

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item0900aecd805009fc.shtml

Hope  this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: