Views
Helpful
Replies

SRW224G4P: WebView_upgrade and bonjour_support_broadcast

ciscosilky
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to  receive help over two things here-

1. Discovery  of IP cameras fails through this switch (default settings) for Bonjour protocol - a protocol  developed by Apple for device discovery on network. My devices are IP cameras and are to be discovered through its discovery utility in broadcast mode. How could I get this  done?

Note: Communications across the network take place over UDP  port 5353 in case of bonjour protocol.

2. Latest firmware  upgrade for the above mentioned switch.

I have downloaded  the required .bix and .mib files from below provided links and could upgrade the  firmware to version 1.3.1. How do I upgrade the web view for this switch? When I provide the .mib file  in http mode in upgrade firmware tab, switch throws "invalid data" message. Where is  the option for selecting the .mib file in the web view of  device for web view upgrade?

WebView  Managed Switch Firmware
            WebView  Managed Switch MIB

PS: Serial number# Will be provided if required.

13 Replies 13

ciscosilky
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know the email address for tech support on Linksys products.

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Product is considered Cisco Small Business now.  All the former Linksys Business Series products are joined in the SB portfolio.

Small Business Support Center is the TAC for all SB:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-10444/

The link and its document shows how to upgrade the firmware- the bix

file". How do we upgrade the web view "the mib file" in http mode?

Thnx.

The first part of the query is still un-attempted. 

How do we enable free movement of bonjour prorocol within the switch?

Thnx

ciscosilky
Level 1
Level 1

Its getting close to a fortnight now and I haven't recieved any solutions on my original query. Still awaiting for the perfect solution. The hyperlinks in the past weren't of much help.

Silky,

You have to make sure that the PC that runs the Bonjour discovery is in the same subnet/VLAN as the IP cameras that need to be discovered. If you do that, everything should work just fine. As you say, the utility is trying to discover the devices in broadcast mode, broadcasts are only sent to all ports within the same subnet/vlan.

If you would have any further questions, don't hesiitate to contact the Small Business Support Center.

Regards,

Nico Muselle

Hi Nico,

You mean to say by default the switch isn't configured with default VLAN with all ports configured? I was thinking this is how it should be... rt? I will try that... but you can too confirm before I write back

Thnx.

nimusell
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Silky,

By default, the switch is configured with all ports in the management VLAN. So the only concern is now to make sure that the PC and the cameras are in the same subnet. Depending on the default config of the camera(s), whether they have fixed IP or obtain an IP address from a DHCP server (if present), you should either configure your PC in the same subnet as the camera(s), either make sure that the camera(s) get(s) and IP address from the DHCP server that is in the same subnet as your PC.

Eg : the default IP of the camera is 192.168.0.240 (static), you need to make sure that your PC is also in the 192.168.0.X network (manually configured)

If both your PC and the cameras get their IP from the DHCP server, connecting them to the same switch which is not configured with vlans should automatically provide them with an IP address in the same subnet.

Regards,

Nico

Hi Nico,

I have configured my cameras and servers with Static IP with same series 192.168.1.x (This helps me to access the switch web page without changing the default IP). I could perform the same operation when using a D-Link PoE switch with same settings.

Earlier to this we had some field issues (in US) and they too realised the discovery failed on the particular model. I wanted to make sure that there is something we can provide in setting in switch rather than call it a switch limitation.

Note: Is there a provison for you to see if you can get it tested at your base. eg: try discovering an AXIS Communciation IP camera through this switch- it uses bonjour protocol in its device discovery utility.

Thanks. I really appreciate the help your are offering.

Hello Silky,

Although we don't have the AXIS Communciation IP camera to test here, we do have some other Bonjour-enabled devices. I connected my PC through a SRW224G4P switch to a SRW248G4P switch which had quite some Bonjour-enabled devices connected to it. The result was that although there were 2 switches connected in between them, the devices were discovered correctly using our Cisco FindIT too (see screenshot in attachment).

So as far as I can say, or as far as I could test, there are no bonjour issues on the SRW224G4P switch.

I will try it again then...

Other thing is the upgrade procedure for mib file using http. Is it possible or I have to go by tftp server way only?

thnx

There are few cameras using bonjour protocol that are getting discovered which means the firmware upgrade and a rest made it work. So the first part is done and I am Happy the critical part is working fine.

How about performing an upgrade for the webview of the switch? Similar to the firmware how can I get it done the http way... Or is it that firmware upgrade will take care of webview upgrade as well? The tftp way is the last thing to try.

Regards,

Silky C.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X