cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRST and Moh

Nuggetf4l
Level 1
Level 1

I am thinking about deploying local MoH for my remote sites and having the local MoH play constatly.  I know this works but wanted to here feedback from somebody who is actually doing it.  Anybody out there doing this currently?  How well is it working?  Thanks for the feeback!

Matt

4 Replies 4

ahochau_2
Level 1
Level 1

Works well and haven't had any problems.  Usually need to reboot the router after the configuration is complete to make it work.  The only down side is that you have to update all the remote devices when you want to change the hold music instead of just changing it locally.  This can be scripted and pushed to the devices using SolarWinds or something like it.

I have a couple of customers where I have configured an FXO port to be a live-feed source, this works really well.  You can use an MP3 player, CD player, really anthing with a head phone jack as the source.  One customer is able to update the MoH monthly by shipping the professionaly created sales pitch to each of the stores on CF.  Have also had car dealership with many locations use this method so that they could swap the CD in the player and get "Ford" infomration at the Ford dealer and "Mazda" information at the Mazda location.

Keep in mind that any hold music no matter the source needs to be properly licensed.

If we went forward, we would use a MoH service that aotomatically updates the music, and we would use the FXO port as the feed.

I went to Home Depot and got modular RCA jacks, a 2 port wall box and a standared Cat5 jack (RJ-48?) and was able to fashion an "adapter" for less than $10. RCA jack has 2 connectors, tied to the blue pair on the Cat 5 with cross connect and snapped them into the box.  Was then able to use a calbe that was standard headphone male on on end and RCA on the other to my adapter and then use a standard line cord from the adapter to the FXO.  Found this to be easier, quicker and cheaper (billing at $100+/hr) than trying to make a cable that goes from the output of the music source to the FXO.  Could be done with a stander phone jack as well since you are only using one pair.

But as for what you propose, haven't had a problem with it.  Just need to reboot the router after configuring everything.

ahochau, don't know if this can happen but can i get on a call with a customer to ease his mind about the new potential config?  He just needs assurance about the reliability.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: