Helpful
Replies

Unity connection 7.1.3 Backup issue

KiloBravo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

looking for some advice, the situation is as follows:

I'm backing up a unity connection server to a windows server with winSCP installed (sftp). i'm doing a manual backup and cannot backup the 'connection_messages' it just gets stuck and i have to reset drf master/local services on ccmservice before i can re-attempt. to resolve this i've tried:

1. using a different sftp server (coreftp)

2. using a different machine to backup to.

3. doing the backups one feature at a time.

the message store gets up to 15mb at the most, and will then just disconnect from the SFTP server.

do u have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scheduled vs. Manual doesn't matter - if one fails, so will the other.  Do you essentially see the message store backup get to 40% and then it hangs for a while and fails?

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

This is a very common problem

From Brad @ Cisco

TAC has also written some instructions on how to use CoreFTP which has also been used in the past:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8142

A great thread with nice answers from Brad, Hailey and Derek;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3036975#3036975

Cheers!

Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Hi and thanks for the reply Rob.

I've seen and gone through the coreftp link you posted. I did a search on this forum prior to posting. the fix mentioned in the thread does not really apply to me however as i'm not trying to backup a callmanager cluster, are the files that big in comparison to the ones mentioned (mines are stopping around the 20mb mark). perhaps i missed some info in the thread?

thanks again rob, let me know what you think.

Hi there,

No worries my friend

I think the answers in the thread are completely related to

Unity Connection 7.1(3) and are applicable to your issues.

Have another browse through there.

We took Hailey's great advice and have started backing up the messages

via the Sub instead of the Pub.Works sweet!!

Cheers!

Rob

If this is a cluster, I've seen this a few times.  The only fix I found (as I only use CopSSH which does not have file limitation issues and I'm not a big fan of CoreFTP, either) is as follows:

Create 2 backup paths on your SFTP folder - ex: CUC Pub, CUC Sub

Set the backup target on each server to it's own separate location (avoid issues with backup retention, that's the point here).

On the Pub, backup everything except for the message store.

On the Sub, you can backup everything or optionally only the message store.

In a restore scenario, you'd be fine because the data is replicated between servers so you can restore the message store file from the Sub to the Pub without issue.

If it's a standalone server, you could set up 2 backup jobs.  One to do everything but messages and the other to only backup messages - then see what happens with that.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

just to further elaborate the scenarion here....

we do have a callmanager cluster. however there is more than one unity server in this cluster. some of those are not unity connection but full blow unity. This particular server is the one i want to backup just the one time (for now). when i go to do this backup i browse to https://address-of-unity-server/drf.  from there i've setup a backup device (a laptop with coreftp server installed). i then go to manual backup, select all features (four of them) then i start the backup.

initially it used to get stuck on the database feature, so i decided to do them one by one starting with database which now worked, i then tried messagestore on its own and that got stuck (again not talking GB's here these files are all under 50MB so far).

now with the post you posted above, i don't understand where the callmanager pub and sub get involved here because as i see it, i'm doing everything from the unity server. i can't see how i can backup unity connection from the CCM's. This can just be a lack of understanding (on my behalf) on how these servers actually integrate together in terms of DR etc so i'm open to further explanation if you'll all bare with me.

thanks for the advice so far guys.

I didn't say anything about the CUCM cluster - I noted a CUC which is Cisco Unity Connection cluster (acronym is CUC).  In a cluster with CUC, you have 1 Pub and 1 Sub - they are active-active and you can set up backup jobs separately.

CUCM is not part of this equation.

Hailey

this would be where my confusion lies (i knew there was something i just wasn't grasping). thanks for clearing this up. I'll take a look at it with that in mind. another question, are all unity connect servers setup with 1pub and 1 sub or do they sometimes come as just on server (i beleive in my case the latter is situation as i'm not aware of any other servers bar this one i'm webbing to.

Thanks!

CUC does not have to be setup in a cluster configuration.  It can be a single, standalone server.  In that case, you may need to try the second method of having one backup job to backup everything BUT messages and then a second to backup messages only.

Additionally, CUCM and CUC can come in co-resident installation.  When they do this is called CUCM BE or Business Edition.  It's a single server, MCS 7828, that has CUCM and CUC installed on the same server and can support up to 500 users for IP telephony and voicemail services.

Hailey

in this instance i believe there is just the one server.

so i've tried to run seperate manual backups. when choosing messagestore on it's own even this fails! did you mean to set them up as scheduled or would manual backups pretty much be the same thing?

i've also had a cisco TAC case open and all they recommend is trying different SFTP servers, they;ve currently got me trying titan (free trial) but i feel this is going up the wrong path. i've already tried 3 different ones.

Thanks

Scheduled vs. Manual doesn't matter - if one fails, so will the other.  Do you essentially see the message store backup get to 40% and then it hangs for a while and fails?

i pressed the correct answer accidentally on your last post.

but to continue - yes it does get stuck on 40% however when watching the file being transfered on the C:\ the file keeps increasing in size but will then just cut off.

So, looking back at the whole thread - I see that you said you looked thru the CoreFTP info.  Personally, I've never had that issue with backups (file size limitations and such) because I use a known, proven application.  Anyway, I failed to ask you what SFTP server you are using for backups?  In addition, Rob was right when he said that even though that thread focuses on CUCM, it still applies to CUC because the two applications reside on the same exact platform.  The only difference is the app modules that get loaded when you choose to install CUC over CUCM and vice versa.  The platform components are, at heart, the same.

So, let's back up:

1) What SFTP client are you using?

2) Can you send me a screen shot from the system that shows the size of your mailstore?

Hailey

I've used so far:

Freeftpd

Coreftp

winscp

titan (which i'm trying now)

i'll get you a screen shot in just a bit.

Thanks for your time on this hailey.

Not a problem. I personally think there is a bug here but it has yet to be acknowledged.  I've seen this on a brand
new cluster and heard many compaints in NetPro as well.  You've been thru the gamut of servers.  Personally, I've used CopSSH for years without issue.  Technically, Titan is Cisco's recommended application but it's not free - not if you want to get functionality out of it.  I didn't like it, personally but we have a client who uses it for very large CDR file offloads to a billing server and they've been good with it.

Send me that screen shot and we'll go from there.  I can't promise we'll get this working on a single box - I could almost guarantee it within a cluster, but I'll try to figure something out with you on it.

Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: