cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection of 881 router to the existing router

irinas
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 881 routers, which I have to install into two different locations and connect each one of these 881 routers to existing networks with and existing routers (one per location). Two new computes in each office will be connected to these new 881 routers. After that I will have to set up VPN in order for those two locations to communicate with each other. I tried different way to configure the routers. I was never able to connect the new router 881 to existing router with the WAN port on 881. I can connect the LAN on 881 to the existing router and see other computers on the existing network, but I think I need to connect through WAN in order to configure VPN. Please help.

IrinaS

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have two 881 routers, which I have to install into two different locations and connect each one of these 881 routers to existing networks with and existing routers (one per location). Two new computes in each office will be connected to these new 881 routers. After that I will have to set up VPN in order for those two locations to communicate with each other. I tried different way to configure the routers. I was never able to connect the new router 881 to existing router with the WAN port on 881. I can connect the LAN on 881 to the existing router and see other computers on the existing network, but I think I need to connect through WAN in order to configure VPN. Please help.

IrinaS

Hi Irina,

Can you provide the scehmatic diagram to understand better how is the connectivity and where is the problem to troubleshoot.

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh,

My problem is that whenever I connect the new 881 router the way I have it on the schematic, the WAN port on the 881 is connected to LAN port of the existing router, 881 is not working properly: The light is “ON”, but it is steady and not blinking and my New Computer is connected only to that 881 router and not the Internet.

In order to be able to get to the Internet with the New Computer I connected 881 Router LAN port to the LAN port on Existing Router. I do not think this is right thing to do. I do not have to use 881 router to connect to the Internet, I could use a switch instead, but I will have to configure that new 881 router for VPN eventually to communicated between two new computers.

So my question is: How should I connect & configure the new 881 router to do so?