Helpful
Replies

portfast default / bpduguard default

fjcardenas-1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Issue 1).

I am applying the following command: "spanning-tree portfast default" in config mode and then when I check the running-config I don't see all ports in portfast as I understand they should be according to book...... is there any explanation to this? Is this IOS version related?

Issue 2).

I have some ports manually configured as portfast. Then I apply the command "spanning-tree porfast bpduguard defaul" but when I check the running-config I don't see those ports with the bpduguard as I understand they should be according to book...... any explanation?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey,

Switch(config)#spanning-tree portfast ?
  default  Enable portfast by default on all access ports

so that means, it enable portfast  but it will not write the spanning-tree portfast command for each interface into the running or startup config.

In your config, u have just 1 entry "spanning-tree portfast default" so all access ports are portfast.

Btw. Same with bpduguard

U can check, if its globally activated by "show spanning-tree summary"

Bye,

Patrick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hey,

Switch(config)#spanning-tree portfast ?
  default  Enable portfast by default on all access ports

so that means, it enable portfast  but it will not write the spanning-tree portfast command for each interface into the running or startup config.

In your config, u have just 1 entry "spanning-tree portfast default" so all access ports are portfast.

Btw. Same with bpduguard

U can check, if its globally activated by "show spanning-tree summary"

Bye,

Patrick

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Issue 1).

I am applying the following command: "spanning-tree  portfast default" in config mode and then when I check the  running-config I don't see all ports in portfast as I understand they  should be according to book...... is there any explanation to this? Is  this IOS version related?

-  "spanning-tree  portfast default" command will enable portfast on all switchports in access mode. This will not be reflected in ruuning config. If you can check "show spanning-tree interface portfast" you can see that portfast is enabled.

- Same shud be applicable for Issue 2 as well. I dont remember the command to verify the same.

HTH,

Nagendra

michael.leblanc
Level 4
Level 4

Sounds like you are expecting these commands to appear in each interface configuration section. If so, that is incorrect.

acc01#sh run | i default

spanning-tree portfast default
spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default

Note: Global configuration commands found in running config.

acc01#sh run int gi0/1

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
description
switchport access vlan
switchport mode access
switchport nonegotiate
switchport port-security
switchport port-security violation restrict
load-interval 60
no keepalive
no cdp enable
spanning-tree guard root
ip dhcp snooping limit rate 15
end

Note: Absence of interface configuration commands pertaining to portfast and bpduguard.

acc01#sh spanning-tree interface gi0/1 portfast

MST00            enabled
MST01            enabled

MST02            enabled

Note: Portfast enabled on each spanning tree instance, on this interface.

Note:Your output may look different than ours as we are using Multiple STP. You are likely using a different STP.

FYI: The ports will need to be configured for access mode.

E.g.:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport access vlan 100
switchport mode access

Best Regards,

Mike

Hello Mike,

very good post with show commands showing the facts

rated as it deserves (5P)

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Giuseppe:

Thank you for the positive feedback, and your extensive forum support.

Best Regards,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card