cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 7 with Exchange 2K7

balitewiczp
Level 2
Level 2

I have a Unity UM Version 7.0.2 ES20 enviornment with Exchange 2k3 as the message store, and the partner server.  Some exchange 2K7 message stores need to be added.  Partner server will remain 2K3.  Is there a version of DAD that will test against 2K7?  Will perms wizard and message store wizard support 2K7, provided  exchange full admin rights are granted to account?

thanks

6 Replies 6

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you plan to have users on the Exchange 2007 servers and run a mixed mode environment, then Exchange 2003 cannot be the partner server.  This is well outlined in the install and admin guides but in a mixed environment with Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007, Unity MUST partner with an Exchange 2007 server.  Permissions wizard will run without issue against the new mailstore.  However, there will be limitations as far as the E2K7 integration goes. The most pertinent being that

Unity cannot create users and mailboxes for Exchange 2007 integrations.

Just check the installation guide for Unity 7x (actually 5x because the documentation refers you back to 5x since the integration details are the same).  It's all outlined there as I noted above.

If you're wondering about Exchange 2010 for any reason - Unity 7x is the only version of Unity that supports this integration right now.  You can partner with Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2010, it's up to you - no hard and fast rules like with Exchange 2007.  However, MAPI has changed so there is a patch and a specific ES revision you need to get to before you can set up the integration.  Cisco has released official docs for this as well.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Exchange 2010? We've barely gotten to 2007!  Appreciate the response, but this is an excerpt

from the Install guide for Unity 5

When Cisco Unity subscriber mailboxes will be homed in Exchange 2007 as well as in Exchange 2003 and/or Exchange 2000, choose a partner server based on the considerations already mentioned as well as the roles installed on the server and ease of access to Exchange 2007 servers:

The considerations have to do with the partner server having enough horsepower.   Am I looking in the wrong place?  The way I read it, it doesnt say that 2007 PS is a must.

thanks

No, you are reading correctly.  I jumped the gun and misspoke earlier.  What I was thinking of is the requirement that if you partner with Exchange 2007 then it must have the Mailbox server role installed...not that it is required as the partner server.  So, my bad there - good catch and +5 to you for doing research as well.  I have found that in every 2007 install I have done, the Exchange 2007 has been the best choice as the Partner server though.  A few reasons (in those scenarios):

Long term goal was to get 2003 out of the environment.  So, set up the partner the first time and go with it.

2007 servers were new and better equipped than 2003 - customer assumed better performance.

So, that's it.  I need to slow down my type to get in conjunction with my brain.

Hailey

Sorry, to answer you original questions - no special MSM (Message Store Manager or Config Wizard) or Permissions Wizard needed for 2007 integrations.

Ok, fair enough.  if you look at the DAD tool (Directory Access Diag), it references only being able to test mailstores in 2000 and 2k3.  fwiw, unity only imports from AD, it does not directly create mailboxes and users.

If the perms and msm wizards are the same, how does one check to see if the necessary rights are there, if DAD doesnt work?

Cheers

I don't use DAD often as I've not needed to.  I've rarely had issues with permissions post-install outside of a customer that decided to add a bunch of storage groups and shuffle users.  For the most part, I've been very successful with both Unity and Unity Connection deployments.  But as for DAD, I don't think the tool is inoperable - it's just old as the last update was 2004.  So, I don't have a 2007 server in my lab or I could test right but the tool may still work.  It's just testing permissions to the mailstore and I don't think there are any inherent differences there that make the tool useless as far as 2007 is concerned.  I could be wrong (I was once today) but that's my 2 cents.

However, the other way you can test permissions is to run the Permissions Wizard in report/diagnostics mode.  Still requires logging on as Domain Admin but just runs thru all of the various settings and verifies your access based on the settings you configured permissions initially.

Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: