Views
Helpful
Replies

Power Over Ethernet

phuawl838270
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

There are 2 ethernet ports in my office which are exactly the same  except that one supplies power and the other does not. UDP messages can  still reach a computer connected to the ethernet port which supplies  power when the computer is put to standby. However,  UDP messages are not able to reach the computer during the 1st 30 secs  of entering standby when the computer is connected to the ethernet port  which has no power.

Does anyone know why there is a difference in behavior when the  computer is connected to these 2 ethernet ports? How does power supplied  from ethernet port affects the computer's behavior during the initial  phase of standby?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Wee-Li

1 Reply 1

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

You are 100% sure that those PCs are requiring PoE? If you check with "show power inline" (I assume the switch is a Cisco one) you see power injected on those ports?

I'm asking because you may look at your problem from wrong perspective and not the PoE to influence the UDP packets, but the cards in your PCs.

Did you tried to swap the PCs in those ports to see if also the behavior is swaping?

Let me know if this helps you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card