Re: Basic Questions on FWSM

Answered Question
May 26th, 2010
User Badges:

Hi,

I have a few basic question with respect to having a pair of 6509 with FWSM modules. Prior to this, I have worked with Checkpoint and that was sometime back.

Just want to to confirm on the following :-

i) Since I have a pair of FWSM, I need to create the same rules to both the FWSM context right ?

ii) I am using the ASDM to make changes and after the rules are created under the 'Access Rules'  tab,  I need to save it and then apply' it for it to become

active.

Would this be correct ? Is there anything else that I should know that I have not stated ?

Pls advice,

Cheers,

-SN-

Correct Answer by Marcin Latosiewicz about 7 years 2 days ago

SN,

ad1. In failover you need to apply changes only on one (active) unit or one (active) context.

You can check "show failover" to understand whether you are on active unit/conext (cli available both in system and separate contexts)

ad2. You need to do only "apply" in ASDM which will send command to FWSM. "save" will write changes to memory - those changes will persist over reload.

Hope that helps,

Marcin

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Marcin Latosiewicz Thu, 05/27/2010 - 02:09
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

SN,

ad1. In failover you need to apply changes only on one (active) unit or one (active) context.

You can check "show failover" to understand whether you are on active unit/conext (cli available both in system and separate contexts)

ad2. You need to do only "apply" in ASDM which will send command to FWSM. "save" will write changes to memory - those changes will persist over reload.

Hope that helps,

Marcin

Actions

This Discussion