Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS and the World Cup 2010

AJAZ NAWAZ
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

Given the upcoming football (aka soccer in US), world cup our organization expects an increased amount of video streaming requests from Internet. I'm wondering how the existing WAAS platform will play a part in this?.

Does the WAAS replace the need for a streaming server in the given scenario?. From the research I have conducted so far it would appear to do the job.

thanks

Ajaz Nawaz

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Are you trying to optimize the usage of the Internet link or of your internal network?  Optimizing the usage of the Internet link would require WAAS on both sides of the link -- not sure if you service provider would allow that.

Zach

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ajaz,

WAAS can perform live stream splitting for video streamed from a Microsoft using RTSP.  For other types of video traffic, we can apply throughput (TFO) and compression (DRE/LZ) optimization to reduce the load in the WAN.

Is there a particular source you are going to source video from that we can test with?

Regards,

Zach

hmm... I see.

Zach,

Since the internet BW I have to play with is only 10mb, I don't think WAAS will do the job with nearly 300 users.

The other option as you know is to deploy a streaming server ( VMware ;-) and leverage multicast on the routers/switches.

I would imagine the video streams will come from a wide variety of sources on the internet. I would say that in the UK that number would perhaps be 10 or so (i.e. sources).

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=&q=watch+live+world+cup+football&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_en-GBGB362GB362&ie=UTF-8

thanks

Ajaz Nawaz

Are you trying to optimize the usage of the Internet link or of your internal network?  Optimizing the usage of the Internet link would require WAAS on both sides of the link -- not sure if you service provider would allow that.

Zach

I was thinking more along the lines of caching. but you're absolutely right and I am mistaken - the wae is not intended to proxy for inbound Internet - would be nice if it could though hey :-)

thanks

Ajaz Nawaz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: