3750 and Provisioning a Switch to become Member of Stack

Unanswered Question
May 27th, 2010

Since the documentation does not make it clear imo - I assume when preparing a switch to join an existing stack, the provision command must be applied to the master, and not on the switch to be added?

thanks

Ajaz Nawaz

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
anawaz Thu, 05/27/2010 - 06:53

Stack Offline Configuration

You can use the offline configuration feature to provision (to configure) a new switch before it joins the stack. You can  configure the member number, the switch type, and the interfaces  associated with a switch that is not yet part of the stack. That  configuration is the provisioned configuration.  The switch to be added to the stack and to get this configuration is  the provisioned switch.

The provisioned configuration is automatically created when a switch is  added to a that is running Cisco IOS Release 12.2(20)SE or later stack  and when no provisioned configuration exists. You can manually create  the provisioned configuration by using the switch stack-member-number provision type global configuration command.

When you configure the interfaces for a provisioned switch (for example,  as part of a VLAN), the information appears in the stack running  configuration whether or not the provisioned switch is part of the  stack. The interface for the provisioned switch is not active and does  not appear in the display of a specific feature (for example, in the show vlan user EXEC command output). Entering the no shutdown interface configuration command has no  effect.

The startup configuration file ensures that the stack can reload and can  use the saved information whether or not the provisioned switch is part  of the stack.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

yes thanks. I have read all the documentation as I stated in my original post.

so Reza... perhaps you can explain from the link you posted where does it make it clear that the provision command must be configured on the master of existing stack, or switch yet to be provisioned ???

davy.timmermans Thu, 05/27/2010 - 08:42

Hi,

The provisioning command has to be executed on the existing stack and not on the new member.

Best regards

anawaz Thu, 05/27/2010 - 08:49

You mean the existing stack master right?.

thanks - that was the answer I was after !

kind regards

Ajaz

Reza Sharifi Thu, 05/27/2010 - 08:58

Ajaz,

The stack master is the single point of stack-wide management. From the stack master, you configure:

System-level (global) features that apply to all stack members

Interface-level features for each stack member

Therefore, any command you apply has to be on the stack master

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted May 27, 2010 at 6:24 AM
Stats:
Replies:5 Avg. Rating:
Views:3846 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.