cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 and Provisioning a Switch to become Member of Stack

AJAZ NAWAZ
Level 5
Level 5

Since the documentation does not make it clear imo - I assume when preparing a switch to join an existing stack, the provision command must be applied to the master, and not on the switch to be added?

thanks

Ajaz Nawaz

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ajaz,

Make sure to follow the config guide (below) for managing your stacked switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_50_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html

HTH

Reza

Stack Offline Configuration

You can use the offline configuration feature to provision (to configure) a new switch before it joins the stack. You can  configure the member number, the switch type, and the interfaces  associated with a switch that is not yet part of the stack. That  configuration is the provisioned configuration.  The switch to be added to the stack and to get this configuration is  the provisioned switch.

The provisioned configuration is automatically created when a switch is  added to a that is running Cisco IOS Release 12.2(20)SE or later stack  and when no provisioned configuration exists. You can manually create  the provisioned configuration by using the switch stack-member-number provision type global configuration command.

When you configure the interfaces for a provisioned switch (for example,  as part of a VLAN), the information appears in the stack running  configuration whether or not the provisioned switch is part of the  stack. The interface for the provisioned switch is not active and does  not appear in the display of a specific feature (for example, in the show vlan user EXEC command output). Entering the no shutdown interface configuration command has no  effect.

The startup configuration file ensures that the stack can reload and can  use the saved information whether or not the provisioned switch is part  of the stack.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

yes thanks. I have read all the documentation as I stated in my original post.

so Reza... perhaps you can explain from the link you posted where does it make it clear that the provision command must be configured on the master of existing stack, or switch yet to be provisioned ???

Hi,

The provisioning command has to be executed on the existing stack and not on the new member.

Best regards

You mean the existing stack master right?.

thanks - that was the answer I was after !

kind regards

Ajaz

Hi,

I have read the document on stackwise technology for the 3850, but I believe that you just need to change the model or platform number to get to the exact documentation.  I honestly am impressed on how they improved their documentation now.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/ha_stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg_chapter_010.html#task_1177470

Provisioning a New Member for a Switch Stack

This optional task is available only from the active switch.

hth

Ajaz,

The stack master is the single point of stack-wide management. From the stack master, you configure:

System-level (global) features that apply to all stack members

Interface-level features for each stack member

Therefore, any command you apply has to be on the stack master

This is, for the very first time, that I find someone who knows what they are talking about in this matter. I cannot thank you enough for finally clarifying this topic for us. The official documentation is awful and you made it so clear in so few words. Outstanding work. Thanks so much! 

Follow-up question, if I may.

Your posts says: "The provisioned configuration is automatically created when a switch is added to a stack that is running IOS 12.2(20)SE or later and when no provisioned configuration exists"

Well, in that case, why should we even bother with this whole provisioning business?

As far as I can tell, these are the steps I must ensure in order for a new stack to be formed successfully. Let's say we have two switches, brand-new out of the box:

• Power on both devices, independently, to ensure both of them are in the exact same IOS version.
  • Power off Switch 2
  • On Switch 1, set priority to 15 and reload. (if you want a specific switch to be the stack master always assign the highest priority. 15, to that switch).
    Switch# switch 1 priority 15
    Switch# reload
  • After the reload, while Switch 1 running and Switch 2 is off, connect StackWise cables securely to both switches.
  • Power on Switch 2 (this switch's priority is "1" by default out of the box).
  • Wait for the switches to sync and form the stack. Use the following command to verify the status:
    Switch# show switch

So,

• Am I missing anything here?
  • Can I not just let the switches provision themselves as they boot and join the stack for the first time?
  • Why should I even care about this whole provision business?

Thanks so much.

amiraf0421
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Anawaz,

Your right, the documentation is not clear on how to utilize the provisioned command properly for merging a live switch into an existing switch stack.  I love how people just keep re-posting the same link over and over again, when you ask a simple question.  They don't know the answer, so they will search the topic and post the 1st link they see, that's a 1000 pages long.  I have been searching for more information on how to add an existing live 3850 switch to a stack.  Im trying to do this, without having to reload the whole entire switch stack but I cannot find it.  Anawaz, if you have any information on how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.  Please do not send me the same link that everyone keeps re-posting. lol... :)

Thank you Anawaz!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card