Views
Helpful
Replies
6 Replies 6

Jan Rockstedt
Level 1
Level 1

Zach,

What is recomendation from Cisco, to upgrade or not?

I don t see any major fixed or any new feature's.

We are running 4.1.5f now.

Jan Rockstedt

Hi Jan,

There are a number of defects resolved in the 4.1.7 release, as shown here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v417/release/note/ws417xrn.html

Whether or not, and when, you should upgrade is dependent on your environment.  If you are having service impacting or performance issues due to one of the defects resolved in this release, then that would push you to move to 4.1(7) rather than later.  Otherwise, a rule of thumb I always used while working in Advanced Services was to wait ~6 weeks after a release to allow for enough field expsoure and to give you time to perform internal lab validation and testing.

Regards,

Zach

Hi again,

I read that Cisco is recommended to disable the WCCP in the farm of the routers before upgraded to 4.1.7.

I have problem with this as our routers are outsourced.

Today I am using 4.1.5f could there be any major problem to upgrade to 4.1.7 and skip the disable for the routers for WCCP?

Jan Rockstedt

Hi Jan,

This recommendation is really around a graceful upgrade with respect to active TCP connections.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/upgrade/guide/waas_upgrade.html#wp42728

For a graceful termination of existing  TCP flows optimized by WAAS, we recommend that you disable WCCP on the  WAE first, as described in Step 1 of this procedure. Then wait until the  graceful timer counts down, during which period no new connections are  redirected to the WAE and the existing connections are allowed to  gracefully terminate. Upon completion of the countdown timer, all  existing connections are terminated.

Thanks,

Eric

P.S. if this answers your questions, please mark it as answered with a 5.

Can you please explain the pros/cons of upgrading via the command line vs upgrading via the CM GUI (as described in this document)?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v417/configuration/guide/maint.html#wp1101565

The command line method asks me to log into each router and shut down wccp while the CM GUI method does not.  Does the CM GUI method do something to make it clean without shutting down wccp on the routers?

Thank you.

Hi Todd,

There really isn't much difference between the two methods.  The upgrade process using the Central Manager doesn't do anything to gracefully shut down WCCP and upgrade the device.  Two benefits you do get by upgrading through the Central Manager are:

- The ability to upgrade an entire device group at once

- The ability to auto reload a device once the software has been downloaded and installed

Regards,

Zach

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: