cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5580 8.3(1) New Install Questions

joe.ho
Level 1
Level 1

I recently loaded 8.3(1) on the ASA5580 on a out of the box ASA. The only thing I changed in the config is the IP address for the interface and the location of the asdm command. I also deleted the old IOS from the flash. After I reload the box I notice the following changed. I wonder is this normal? If not, how to correct them?

1. During reload I see this. In the config file I don't have that in line 4 running config so how this get into startup config. The file 8_1_2_0_startup_cfg.sav create itself in the flash.

'flash:8_1_2_0_startup_cfg.sav'

*** Output from config line 4, "ASA Version 8.1(2) "

2. In show version I see perpetual in every line. Is this normal?

Licensed features for this platform:

Maximum Physical Interfaces    : Unlimited      perpetual

Maximum VLANs                  : 250            perpetual

Inside Hosts                   : Unlimited      perpetual

Failover                       : Active/Active  perpetual

VPN-DES                        : Enabled        perpetual

VPN-3DES-AES                   : Enabled        perpetual

!

3. In the show flash there are new file created. Is that mean ASA see some errors?

112  2351        May 26 2010 14:02:43  8_1_2_0_startup_cfg.sav

135  16384       May 26 2010 14:02:44  coredumpinfo

136  43          May 26 2010 14:02:44  coredumpinfo/coredump.cfg

137  1158        May 26 2010 14:02:44  upgrade_startup_errors_201005261402.log

Attached file shows the full reload process. I appreciate if someone can answer these questions.

3 Replies 3

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you upgrade from previous version of 8.2 and earlier, the migration upgrade to version 8.3.1 will save a copy of the old ASA configuration because there has been a total change in the NAT translation from version 8.3.1 onwards. NAT from version 8.3.1 is devided into auto NAT and manual NAT. Licensing in ASA version 8.3.1 also changes.

Here is the release notes for 8.3.1 new change for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/release/notes/asarn83.html

Here is the new NAT translation from version 8.3.1 for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/configuration/guide/nat_overview.html#wp1122015

Here is the new NAT order of operation from version 8.3.1 for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/configuration/guide/nat_overview.html#wp1118157

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the links. Is it normal for the ASA to create the error log when upgrade to 8.3?

Yes, it will create an error file that reports the problems or commands that failed to migrate during the upgrade.

You can do "more disk0:/filename" to see what the ASA reports.

I hope it helps.

PK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card