Views
Helpful
Replies

need help

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

guys

do i need X2-10G-ER or XNPEK if the distance between the 4 H.O range  between 11 and 15 and 20 KM,over songle mode fibere

do i need here DWDM or CWDM,if so why,plz explain?also pls expain if y chose X2 over XNPEK?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The choice between X2 and Xenpak module type is dependent upon what router/switch model you are using.  Refer to the below Compatibility Document to find out which one is required for your particular equipment.

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6974.html>

The "ER" modules will reach up to 40km, which will meet your distance requirements.  For your links of less than 20 km, you will need to add an optical attenuator with 5dB of loss on the receive end of each fiber link.

You will only need to use DWDM/CWDM if you do not have enough optical fibers between the building/sites you are interconnecting.  Each link between optics modules requires two fibers, one for transmit and one for receive.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks Tom for ur effort in this forum

You will only need to use DWDM/CWDM if you do not have enough optical  fibers between the building/sites

could y pls explain the above,e.g why i need DWDM/CWDM just if i dont have enough optical betwwen the buildings?

moreover could y pls help in the below:

1)Could 3560 or 3750 with 4 SFPs works with 1 port GLC-LX-LH(10KM) , and with 2nd port on GLC-ZX-SM(UP to 100Km) ?i.e. could both different modules operates on 1 single box either 3560 or 3750?

2)if the site is far away more than 120KM from H.O what type of fiber module support this distance as I read that  I Can  REACH UP TO 100KM with GLC-ZX-SM?any help?

3)on the 6509-E what is the line card the hold both

v  GLC-LX-LH

v  GLC-ZX-SM

4)what is the line card That hold the X2-10GB-ER?

N: B: the interconnectivities between sites all are over fiber

Thanks a lot

1) Could 3560 or 3750 with 4 SFPs works with 1 port GLC-LX-LH(10KM) , and with 2^nd^ port on GLC-ZX-SM(UP to 100Km) ?i.e. could both different modules operates on 1 single box either 3560 or 3750?

For 1GE transceiver compatibility, I have provided the link to the Cisco document (below).

Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver Modules Compatibility Matrix

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html

As long as the transceiver module is compatible with the switches module it is being installed into, you can mix module types (SH, LH, EH, etc) in a single box/card.

2)if the site is far away more than 120KM from H.O what type of fiber module support this distance as I read that  I Can  REACH UP TO 100KM with GLC-ZX-SM?any help?

If you have access to a site in the middle of the 120km fiber span, you could install the Cisco 2-Channel Transponder to regenerate the signal, or, another switch.   You would install two (2) ā€œZXā€ SFPs into this device.   

Cisco 2-Channel SFP WDM Transponder

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6575/product_data_sheet0900aecd80395a59.html>

Site #1                                                                  Intermediate Site                                            Site #3

Switch #1/ ZX module -------- ZX module/Transceiver/ZX module -------- ZX module/switch #2

Otherwise, you need to optically amplify the signal, which gets expensive for low channel count, and you need to worry about optical engineering.

3) on the 6509-E what is the line card the hold both

v  GLC-LX-LH
v  GLC-ZX-SM

You can review the Gigabit Ethernet transceiver compatibility document I linked above.

4) what is the line card That hold the X2-10GB-ER?

It looks like there are many platforms using the X2-10GB-ER transceiver.  Look at the 10GE compatibility document link I forwarded you earlier (and again below)ā€¦

10-Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver Modules Compatibility Matrix

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6974.html>

1)could this two different modules[X2-10GB-ER and X2-10GB-LR] operates ON The same linecard[WS-6708-10GB(require X2]?

2)X2-10GB from one side and the other opposite site XNPEK?does it work?if so,what is the type of patchcord cable?

Thanks

could this two different modules[X2-10GB-ER and X2-10GB-LR] operates ON The same linecard[WS-6708-10GB(require X2]

Yes

X2-10GB from one side and the other opposite site XNPEK?does it work?

2)X2-10GB from one side and the other opposite site XNPEK?does it  work?if so,what is the type of patchcord cable?

As long as the transceivers at the ends of the fiber link are the same reach type (SR, LR, ER, ETC.), the link will function properly.  The form factor of the module (Xenpak, X2, XFP, etc.) is not important except from a compatibility with the end equipment. 

The Xenpak and X2 modules both use standard SC/PC connectors on the patchcords.  The patchcord's fiber type (singlemode or multimode) will depend on the length of the link and the module selected.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: