Adding second WLC to current Wireless environment

Unanswered Question
May 27th, 2010
User Badges:

Currently I have a 4402 licensed for 50 AP's, and just bought a 5508 licensed for 50 AP's too.  Currently I have approx 60 AP's that I want to spread across the 2 controllers and have about 30 AP's on each WLC.  I want both WLC's to have the same config, same WLANS, etc.  I have both configured in the same mobility group, both have the same virtual ip interface, but it seems I cannot get clients to connect to ap's on second controller (5508).  Do I need to manually create all the WLANS on the second controller, as well as manually create the same security policy's associated with the WLANS.  The 6.0 release documentation was not very clear on this.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
George Stefanick Thu, 05/27/2010 - 18:55
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Best Publication, October 2015

Yes, of course. You also want to share the same LAYER 2 with the WLAN as well. Other wise your clients will do layer3 roams.

Example...

Controller 1

WLAN ---TESTME

INTERFACE: 10.10.10.1

Controller 2

WLAN --- TESTME

INTERFACE: 10.10.10.2

Security ... same thing ... If you attach to AP1 on controller 1 and you roam to AP2 on controller 2 you want to insure you have the same settings...

Think of both controller being an extension of each other ... They need to match outside of their IP addresses... Also make sure you put the controllers on the same level of code and in the same mobility group ...

make sense?

Dont forget to rate helpful post !

david-flores Fri, 05/28/2010 - 07:43
User Badges:

I see, yes it does make sense, thank you.  So pretty much any change I make to the first controller, I will need to make to the second, for example: One of my WLANS is setup to do MAC filtering, so any time I create a MAC filter on one controller, I then need to add the same one on the second controller?

thanks again

George Stefanick Fri, 05/28/2010 - 07:55
User Badges:

That is correct. If you have WCS you can create a controller template where by you make one change to the template and push it down to both controllers. Saves time and type Os.

You will need to insure your settings are correct on both controllers or you will likely have issues..

Also, MAKE SURE your controllers are in the same mobility group ... Its a common oversight for some folks ...

George Stefanick Fri, 05/28/2010 - 07:56
User Badges:

btw ... Thanks for the rating ... much appreciated ...

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network