cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router 1751 not allowing to write mem!!

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

One of my routers (1751) responds "startup-config file open failed (Not enough space)" when typed 'write memory' command. When I checked at the flash I found that there is enogh memory available.

Here are some of the outputs:

NOA-NPL_RT01#dir nvram:
Directory of nvram:/

%Error calling getdents for nvram:/ ()
29688 bytes total (28612 bytes free)
NOA-NPL_RT01#

NOA-NPL_RT01#dir
Directory of flash:/

1  -rw-     6793680              <no date>  c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.122-4.T.bin
    5  -rw-        8255              <no date>  noa-npl-rtr01

16777216 bytes total (9475248 bytes free)
NOA-NPL_RT01#

Please let me know what could be the reason behind it and how to tackle it. I have tried to 'delete nvram' which too ended up saying 'not allowed'.

Thanks and regards,

Gaurav

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gaurav

Try this -

router# wr erase

router# wr mem

Jon

zartar911
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gaurav,

You can also try the squeeze command, not sure if that helps.

Tim

I had tried it previously but did not help!

Surprisingly, this router rebooted last night and lost its start-up config and come up with a default config only. At that time we were able to 'write mem' to it successfully. NVRAM was totally unavailable, so the commands 'copy runn start', copy start tftp' etc etc were not working at all, showing 'not allowed' or 'not accessible' kind of errors.

Looks like some stuck-process or a bug, what do you say?

Thanks all for your time and energy!

Gaurav

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

One of my routers (1751) responds "startup-config file open failed (Not enough space)" when typed 'write memory' command. When I checked at the flash I found that there is enogh memory available.

Here are some of the outputs:

NOA-NPL_RT01#dir nvram:
Directory of nvram:/

%Error calling getdents for nvram:/ ()
29688 bytes total (28612 bytes free)
NOA-NPL_RT01#

NOA-NPL_RT01#dir
Directory of flash:/

1  -rw-     6793680                c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.122-4.T.bin
    5  -rw-        8255                noa-npl-rtr01

16777216 bytes total (9475248 bytes free)
NOA-NPL_RT01#

Please let me know what could be the reason behind it and how to tackle it. I have tried to 'delete nvram' which too ended up saying 'not allowed'.

Thanks and regards,

Gaurav

Hi Gaurav,

Can you try this command and see what happens

conf t

service compress-config

and see it helps or not. If not, see if you can tftp the running config off the router and TFTP it back to startup-config:

copy run tftp

copy tftp start

Then you can try a reload and see if it is cured.

Most of the cases where alot of ACLs or NAT rules could cause MALOC errors (you would see those in your logs) when implemented and could manifest itself in this condition, which could be cured after the next reload, which is why I suggested that.

Of course, dont be remote when you do this and only do it during a maintenance window.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

My guess is a Bug. We had the same thing happen to us with our 2821 routers. We could not do a write mem or copy and files to or from the router. We rebooted the router and we lost the config and it had gone back to the default. What we found out with Cisco TAC is we had the Bug ID: CSCsu38774

Our IOS level was 12.4(20)T1 so we Updated to the newest IOS and that resolved our problem.

Now what caused the bug to pop up was a Kron process that someone had configured a while ago that was to save the config to a server. Well that sever went away but it was still trying to send the file and it would hang up. We found it by doing the command    show file descriptors

And if that hits 128 hung sessions ( 0-127) we saw the problem.

Mike

ameen.ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Gaurav,

Please try the following commands from # mode.

Router# erase /all nvram:

Router# write

Hope this will help you. Kindly revert with update.

Thanks, Ameen.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card