cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 3560 SFP port not working

dwhatbobsight
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 Catalyst 3560 PoE-48 Linked with the SFP ports, I was trying to go from another one of the SFP ports to the router a Cisco 2821 using a Gigabit SFP transceiver MGBT1.  I am not sure if the transceiver is incompatible with the switch or if I am missing a step to get the transceiver to power up.  I am trying to clear some bottle-necks in my LAN to WAN connection.  The network currently has the 2 switches to a 2821 router then it was going through another switch (took it out of the system, Fordstar equipment no longer needed at the dealership) then to a 2801.  I am thinking I should be able to go straight from the switches to the 2821 and straight to the T1 shelf (3 T1's).  Am I way off base or is this reasonable.  Any Suggestions?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi David,

You need to use Cisco-branded (only) SFP or else the switch will disable the port(s).

The SFP device is a Cisco Small Business MGBT1 Gigabit Ethernet 1000 Base-T Mini-GBIC SFP Transceiver.  I would say it is a Cisco device but is it a correct device for the 3560 switch or is it incompatible for another reason?

Errrr ... You are half correct.  The MGBT1 is a Linksys-branded module.  I know that Linksys is owned by Cisco but Cisco has made it a point that no one can buy a Linksys SFP module (which is cheaper) and using it on a Cisco appliance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: