cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Music on Hold Over Wan

andreww-gases
Level 1
Level 1

We have 3 UC520 units that are linked together over a WAN.

If one location calls another and gets put on hold, the hold music starts out really choppy for approximately 30-45 seconds and then clears up.

This does not happen if you call the location from an outside line or on internal calls.

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what is happening but I have yet to find anything.  I've tried adjusting playout delays on dial peers, switching phone models, adjusting QoS settings all to no avail.

I'm running software pack 8.0.2 on all of my UCs currently and have had this issue since the units were first installed last year.

6 Replies 6

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is this a multisite?  If so, extension dialing occurs peer to peer (Uc500 to UC500), without the SIP Trunk SP being involved, just over IP Public WAN.  But there probably isnt retention of QoS packet markings is my guess and why the ingress calls (from the SP) and internal calls (no wan at all) sound better.

Ther are some CAC and some QoS you can do in the CCA multisite manager screen to help a little.  You may want to check that out.

Steve

Yes it is a multsite setup, and I just determined something new.

The problem only occurs with the SPA504G phones.  Users with the 7900 series phones do not experience this problem.

(I am REALLY unimpressed with the SPA500 series.  I've had nothing but problems with them from the start.)

Hi Andrew,

I just tried in my multisite lab (configured exclusively with CCA Multisite Manager), with a SPA501 (lowest end SPA500 series) and MOH is working. 

Extension dialing across the lab WAN in my case and the MOH is not distored or delayed.

Perhaps you can open a case and see what traces to take on this one to get it figured out?

Steve.

Are you using the MoH port or a file?  Also, do you have approximately 60ms of latency between the sites as well?

Also, what firmware version are you running?  I'm using 7.4.3.

I am using the built in file.

7.4.3 on the phone.

Hardly any delay site to site...

C:\>ping 192.168.50.1

Pinging 192.168.50.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.50.1: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=254
Reply from 192.168.50.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=254
Reply from 192.168.50.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=254
Reply from 192.168.50.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=254

Ping statistics for 192.168.50.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 8ms, Average = 4ms

Hi Andrew,

Can you provide some statistics of your WAN service?

Can you do some ping tests (do as many as possible continuous so we can see if there are any spikes or the latency is too high.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: