Views
Helpful
Replies

CoS on MPLS link

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

We had CoS put on our link between two endpoints on the PER. Why would the need to schedule a brief outage to have that done? They said the link would need to come down in order to apply this. What is it they do on their end exactly?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello John,

it is difficult to say I suppose that shutting down the link is part of their procedure

on PE side they just need to apply a service-policy inbound to accept your marking and to drop and/or marking down non conforming traffic.

On cisco equipment this doesn't need to tear down the link, and likely it is not needed on other vendors' equipment

For this reason my guess is that it is a part of a procedure they follow not a real technical need.

Or they prefer to do even a small change under the umbrella of a declared maintanance window to be on the safe side.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello John,

it is difficult to say I suppose that shutting down the link is part of their procedure

on PE side they just need to apply a service-policy inbound to accept your marking and to drop and/or marking down non conforming traffic.

On cisco equipment this doesn't need to tear down the link, and likely it is not needed on other vendors' equipment

For this reason my guess is that it is a part of a procedure they follow not a real technical need.

Or they prefer to do even a small change under the umbrella of a declared maintanance window to be on the safe side.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe. I didn't think it was necessary, but I wasn't sure if it was something I was missing.

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: