cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 switch not forwarding EAPoL to RADIUS server

MARK BAKER
Level 4
Level 4

I have a 3750 switch stack running version 12.2(53)SE2 IPBASEK9-M. I have dot1x configured on the switch and have a Windows 7 PC connected with 802.1x configured on the interface. I see the EAPoL start message from the PC, but I don't see any RADIUS packets from the switch to the RADIUS server. I have a simple dot1x config just to try to get it working prior to adding additional features such as guest-vlan...

Config and debug file attached.

I don't know if the ip dhcp snooping and arp inspection configuration is causing an issue with this or not. I see the EAPoL packet received on the switch as seen in the debug attachment, but I still never see the RADIUS packet. I did set both to trust on the interface but still the same outcome. I can't disable it since it is a production switch with a test interface.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I got the same problem and simply solved by configure the switch as authenticator instead of supplicant. "Supplicant" means client, "authenticator" actually means the switch is acting as a pass-through authenticator, it will forward requests to the auth server, for e.g., radius host.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

m.kafka
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Mark,

The config seems to be OK, nothing I would miss if I assume that mandatory

commands not shown in your config are in place

aaa-new-model is required for dot1x to function, I don't seee that command.

I have configured dot1x just a few times but I always used the commands

aaa authorization network default group radius

and

radius-server vsa send

(honestly, I'm not sure whether they are required, it's just a template which

I know as working)

Careful if this is a production system

AAA New-Model will radically change every authentication behaviour on the

switch if it is not already configured

The main issue seems that the catalys is not sending an "EAP-Request/Identity"

back, Radius-Packets will only be sent after the "EAP-Response/Identity":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/i/100001-200000/100001-110000/101001-102000/101228.jpg

(taken from http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12.2_50_se/configuration/guide/sw8021x.html)

Do you have any other dot1x client?

You can use a cisco router for testing dot1x if you have

test system at hand:

conf term

dot1x credentials DOT1XTEST

username testuser

password testpassword

exit

interface [name-of-interface-connected-to-catalyst]

dot1x pae supplicant

dot1x credentials DOT1XTEST

Another approach:

use the classic config (not auth-manager but "dot1x syntax") you are

using a very new version of IOS, might be buggy:

Switch(config)# aaa new-model
Switch(config)# aaa authentication dot1x default group radius

Switch(config)# aaa authorization network default group radius
Switch(config)# radius-server host [IP-address] auth-port [port] key [port]

Switch(config)# dot1x system-auth-control

Switch(config)# interface [interface]
Switch(config-if)# switchport mode access
Switch(config-if)# dot1x port-control auto

Hope something is helpful

Additional debug hints:

use

show dot1x all

show dot1x interface [interface-name] detail

show dot1x interface [interface-name] satistic

Do see something like "RxResp = x" with x>0?

rgds, MiKa

m.kafka,

Thanks for your response. I haven't seen the EAPOL request/identity being sent from the switch after receiving the EAPOL START packet. I do see the EAPOL request/identity sent from the switch when I manually forced the switch to check the dot1x capabilities with the dot1x test eapol-capable interface command. I see that the Windows 7 supplicant is sending version 1 packets and the switch is sending verion 3 packets. I don't see a response from the switch when the PC sends the EAPOL START and I don't see a response from the PC when the switch sends the manual EAPOL REQUEST/IDENTITY. I wonder if there is a compatibility issue between versions 1 and 3. Show dot1x on the switch shows it as version 3. I don't see how to change the dot1x version on the switch to test for compatibility issues.

When I issue the dot1x interface show commands on the switch I get no output at all. I may downgrade the switch to see if it works in an older IOS version.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

that issue seems to go a bit deeper than I have experience (compatibility issues and possible SW-bugs).

May I suggest to try the Cisco supplicant (cisco secure services client)? Just as an option...

rgds, MiKa

I got the same problem and simply solved by configure the switch as authenticator instead of supplicant. "Supplicant" means client, "authenticator" actually means the switch is acting as a pass-through authenticator, it will forward requests to the auth server, for e.g., radius host.

Peng,

That was it. I don't recall needing that command when I looked at 802.1x a few years ago. I thank it just defaulted to authenticator then. I also didn't see that command in he documentation I was using.

I appreciate the reply. I had put that projecton the back burner after I started this discussion and hadn't really looked into it since. After getting your reply, I had it up and running in 5 minutes with another hour or so tuning the timers to alow for unauthenticated user to get on the guest VLAN prior to their laptop before DHCP timed out and it started using a local link IP of 169.254.x.x.

Thank you,

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: