Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

For WCS with location is there a direction to the AP that I need to configure

Some of my mapping shows clients in the parking lot. I know the AP is right and fits with the map. Is the an orientation thing I need to be aware of and how do I know which direction.

thanks

Gary

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wow.  That means triangulation.

How many APs can see a particular client?  For better-to-best result, I would normally deploy (on purpose to track down a wardriving client) to get a minimum of three (3) APs.  The APs would be deployed not on a straight line but curved or triangle with the middle away from the target.  When your APs have been setup, wait for about 5-10 minutes just to let them sort themselves out and get their "bearings" straight.

Once you've made a good cup of coffee, it's a question of reading RSSI and/or SNR returns.  The higher RSSI signal (syntax "-65 dBm") the closer the target from X AP.

I have a very good experience with triangulation because I've caught a significant number of Australian Federal government staff.  I've been called a number of names but the most "ethical" one is "Wi-Fi Police".

Hope this helps and don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

Actually 5 are detecting from-56 dbm to -85 dbm

I hope the 5 APs are not forming a line because the reading can go both ways.  Choose the strongest three signals with the 4th and 5th as a "balancers".  The balancers will help you determine that the target is on THAT side and not this side.  Am I making myself clear or does it seem like the Sauvignon making sense?

They are not in a straight line, however there are all kinds of block walls between most of the detecting APs. I did not designate on my drawings what type of walls they were so for all WCS knows they are just drywall. I may later change that but if I get fairly close I don't mind.

thanks

Gary

sschmidt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

"Some of my mapping shows clients in the parking lot."

That statement worries me.  You should not see a parking lot around your building.  You really need to remove the white space around the building image and make sure that the image with no whitespace matches the building size you defined.  Try this and let us know if it helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card