Views
Helpful
Replies

What's differences between bypass traffic and pass-through traffic in WAAS

chia hao chang
Level 1
Level 1

I'm confuse about it

I know bypass is a function of WCCP that allows a WAE to return redirected traffic that it does not optimized back to the WCCP server.

and pass-through is a method for the TCP proxy in WAAS to forward unoptimized traffic back to the WCCP server

so they both used to return unopimized traffic back to WCCP server

but why cisco said pass-through traffic is not bypass traffic

could anyone help me

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Chia,

Bypass traffic are the traffic which WAAS bypasses and returns back to the Router. The reason for bypassing this traffic could be different - static bypass list configured on WAAS or some overload conditions on WAAS itself. WCCP Return Method is used to return this traffic back to the router.

Pass Through traffic, unlike bypass traffic are accepted by WAAS. WAAS will process the traffic and does Application Traffic Policy Look up  to determine whether it can optimize the traffic. If it cannot be optimized, WAAS will simply pass-through the traffic.This Pass-through traffic make use of the 'Egress Method' configured on WAAS to send it back to the router, similar to any other optimized traffic flow. So depending upon the Egress Method configured, it can be either of IP Forwarding, WCCP GRE Return or Generic GRE Return.

Regards

Sijith

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi Chia,

Bypass traffic are the traffic which WAAS bypasses and returns back to the Router. The reason for bypassing this traffic could be different - static bypass list configured on WAAS or some overload conditions on WAAS itself. WCCP Return Method is used to return this traffic back to the router.

Pass Through traffic, unlike bypass traffic are accepted by WAAS. WAAS will process the traffic and does Application Traffic Policy Look up  to determine whether it can optimize the traffic. If it cannot be optimized, WAAS will simply pass-through the traffic.This Pass-through traffic make use of the 'Egress Method' configured on WAAS to send it back to the router, similar to any other optimized traffic flow. So depending upon the Egress Method configured, it can be either of IP Forwarding, WCCP GRE Return or Generic GRE Return.

Regards

Sijith

hi Sijith, thanks for your answer

I got it ^^