Views
Helpful
Replies

Site Survey related info !!

nareh84
Level 3
Level 3

hi,

I need the information regarding how to perform a site survey and to decide potential locations where AP can be placed.Is there a complete documentation regarding it. Also i want information regarding site survey tools (cisco and noncisco). Is there any documentation and books related to pre-installation site survey.

Regards

Nareh

2 Replies 2

Not very scientific but I just hung APs and took a laptop around to see how far the signal can go. After a couple of rooms you can just tell that if it is drywall you get so much area. If there are block walls well the signal won't be nearly as strong. I did that to one building and last summer I decided to hire a company with all the software etc. and guess what? They ended up in about where I had them already. Now I expanded from half a building to a whole building and that is why I did the survey across 5 buildings and went from 25 APs to 46 APs but you get the picture. Another building was an early 1900s school buidling with massive amounts of materials between the rooms and I predicted it would take one access point for every 2 rooms and that is what it ended up.

When the survey was taken we used the same APs that we were putting in. After I saw him do it anyone could do it with the software. It cost me about $1500 for a 260,000 square foot building.

fabianalfaro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Nareh,

You can find information related to Cisco's recommendations for site surveys here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00805e9a96.shtml

At the end of the page there are some related documents that could be very useful too.

Regards,

Fabián

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: