Cisco Aironet 1252 sucks (!?)

Unanswered Question
May 29th, 2010
User Badges:

We bought two Cisco Aironet 1252 AP.

First issue:

To my horror, the AP doesnt ship with a power supply cable by default! ....Cisco expects people to have PoE switches, WOW!

Then by default the AP ships with two radio modules, which requires 18.5W power. A normal Catalyst can max provide 15.4W, so by default AP will keep warning of low power.

Solution - disable one radio module. Disabling from software cli didnt help, we we had to phycially break and separate the AP into two, removing the 5GHz module.

Isn't is STUPID not to ship a power adapter along the box?? how can there be a default expectation that people will have PoE switches..

Second issue:

There is no defautl external antenna with the AP which implies that the inbuilt antenna is strong enough to provide some level of decent signal. But in reality the signal really sucks. It doesnt even connect between two rooms.

We tried to connect an external antenna from an older Cisco 1250 series AP, though the antenna fits it, it doesnt make  different to the signal.

Question to the forum:

Is the signal problem faced by everyone without an external antenna? Is it mandatory to get external antenna or this dumb thing can be made to work with the default shipped equipment? I have a PoE switch luckliy to pwer it on, i already have removed the 5Ghz module to keep the power level sufficient. I have played around with the config, changing the power level to max etc, no respite.

Thanks.

Swap

CCIE#19804 (SP, Sec)

Overall Rating: 4.5 (3 ratings)
Rob Huffman Sat, 05/29/2010 - 06:49
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hi Swap,

Please don't shoot the messenger here

Here are the applicable notes for the 1252., with a few more parts that

are not too expensive, you'll see a great improvement;

Power

An external AC power supply and power cord does not ship standard with Cisco Aironet 1250 Series Access Point. An optional external AC power supply is available, but is required only if AC power will be used to power the access point. The external AC power supply is not needed if the AIR-PWRINJ4 power injector is used to power the access point; the injector has its own integrated AC power supply.

Antennas

Each radio module for the Cisco Aironet 1250 Series requires external antennas, which must be ordered as a configurable option or separately as spares. The number of antennas each access point or radio module supports is included in the Global Price List description (for example, 3 RP-TNC).
Table 5 contains a list of the antennas that may be used with the Cisco Aironet 1250 Series. Additional antennas are also available as described in the Cisco Aironet 2.4-GHz and 5-GHz Antennas and Accessories Data Sheet or the Antenna Product Portfolio for Cisco Aironet 1250 Series Access Points At-A-Glance. Note that Cisco Aironet 1250 Series Access Points are certified for operation only with Cisco Aironet antennas; to ensure regulatory compliance, select Cisco Aironet antennas for use with Cisco 1250 Series Access Points.

Cisco Aironet 1250 Series Ordering Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6973/ps8382/product_data_sheet0900aecd806b7c6d.html

Cheers!

Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

swapnendum Sat, 05/29/2010 - 06:52
User Badges:

yeah i read that thing afterwards while researchign the issue...having dealing with Cisco for the past decade, i expected it to be plug an play.

I'm new to wireless, never expected such silly dependencies.

Rob Huffman Sat, 05/29/2010 - 07:19
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hey Swap,

You are not the first (or last) person who questioned some

of the design/config considerations with the 1250 series

Have you thought about trading them in for the PoE and Antenna

friendly 1242 series?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10092/datasheet_c78-502793.html

Cheers!

Rob

Leo Laohoo Sat, 05/29/2010 - 21:49
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Then by default the AP ships with two radio modules, which requires 18.5W power.  I

Not true!  

If you upgrade your autonomous AP to 12.4(10b)JDA3 (or later) the you can use the 1252 with both radios operational at 15.4W (but at a lower MCS rate).   For LWAP, 15.4w support starts at 5.2.X firmware.  Frankly, I wouldn't recommend anyone I know to use 5.X.  Use the 6.X firmware.

As for the no antennaes I'm surprised that your authorized Cisco reseller didn't tell you this.  Anyway the reason why Cisco won't bundle this (unless you specified) because there are a number of combinations to use.  From rubber ducks, rubber duckies, super sticks, disco sticks, patch ... just alot.  The documents are very vague but your reseller should've been there to warn you.  Or asked you that "you've ordered APs without antennaes, should you proceed"?

It doesnt even connect between two rooms.

Antennas transmit and receive radio signals which are susceptible to RF obstructions and common sources of interference that can reduce throughput and range of the device to which they are connected. Follow these guidelines to ensure the best possible performance:

•Keep the antenna away from metal obstructions such as heating and air-conditioning ducts, large ceiling trusses, building superstructures, and major power cabling runs. If necessary, use a rigid conduit to lower the antenna away from these obstructions.

•The density of the materials used in a building’s construction determines the number of walls the signal can pass through and still maintain adequate signal strength. Consider the following before choosing the location for your antenna:

–Signals penetrate paper and vinyl walls with little change to signal strength.

–Signals penetrate only one or two solid and pre-cast concrete walls without degrading signal strength.

–Signals penetrate three or four concrete and wood block walls without degrading signal strength.

–Signals penetrate five or six walls constructed of drywall or wood without degrading signal strength.

–Signals will likely reflect off a thick metal wall and may not penetrate it at all.

–Signals will likely reflect off a chain link fence or wire mesh spaced between 1 and 1 1/2 in. (2.5 and 3.8 cm). The fence acts as a harmonic reflector that blocks the signal.

•Install the antenna away from microwave ovens and 2-GHz cordless phones. These products can cause signal interference because they operate in the same frequency range as the device to which your antenna is connected.

Don't forget to rate our posts.  Thanks!

Rob Huffman Sun, 05/30/2010 - 08:20
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hey Leo,

Nice work here my friend! +5 points for your excellent support

Cheers!

"Smooth" Rob

Leo Laohoo Sun, 05/30/2010 - 15:45
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Thanks "Smooth" Rob for the ratings.

Actions

This Discussion