cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Added switch to 3750 stack, now operating "half"?

Michael Hutt
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everybody,

I just added a new switch to our stack in our server room.  The stack had 5 members, and the 6th was a member from another stack in another server room.

Here's what I did:

• Powered off the switch, removed it from the stack
  • Deleted all config data off the switch leaving only the image
  • Set all the Switch [x] priority/provision/renumber commands to default
  • Connected the switch to the new stack
    • I only did this with one Stackwise cable because I wasn't sure if I needed to connect both right away. It looked like this:
      • Switch 1 connected to Switch 2
      • Switch 2 connected to Switch 3
      • Switch 3 connected to Switch 4
      • Switch 4 connected to Switch 5
      • Switch 5 not connected to Switch 6
      • Switch 6 connected to Switch 1
  • Applied power to the new switch (Switch 6)

Everything booted properly and the stack reformed with the new 6th Switch, however the connection between Switches 4 and 5 is now in a "down" state, even after connecting the cable again from 5 to 6.  Note: I did not originally do anything to the cable between Switches 4 and 5.

Stack Port Status             Neighbors
Switch#  Port 1     Port 2           Port 1   Port 2
--------------------------------------------------------
  1        Ok         Ok                    2        6
  2        Ok         Ok                    1        3
  3        Ok         Ok                    4        2
  4        Ok        Down                 3      None
  5       Down      Ok                 None     6
  6        Ok         Ok                    5        1

Did this happen because I booted the new switch with only one port connected to the stack?

What will happen if I reload switch 6?  Won't switches 4 and 5 lose connectivity to one another because they don't have a link between themselves?

I can't really reload this entire stack because it's switching for our server room and those servers need to be up 24/7.

4 Replies 4

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey everybody,

I just added a new switch to our stack in our server room.  The stack had 5 members, and the 6th was a member from another stack in another server room.

Here's what I did:

• Powered off the switch, removed it from the stack
  • Deleted all config data off the switch leaving only the image
  • Set all the Switch [x] priority/provision/renumber commands to default
  • Connected the switch to the new stack
    • I only did this with one Stackwise cable because I wasn't sure if I needed to connect both right away. It looked like this:
      • Switch 1 connected to Switch 2
      • Switch 2 connected to Switch 3
      • Switch 3 connected to Switch 4
      • Switch 4 connected to Switch 5
      • Switch 5 not connected to Switch 6
      • Switch 6 connected to Switch 1
  • Applied power to the new switch (Switch 6)

Everything booted properly and the stack reformed with the new 6th Switch, however the connection between Switches 4 and 5 is now in a "down" state, even after connecting the cable again from 5 to 6.  Note: I did not originally do anything to the cable between Switches 4 and 5.

Stack Port Status             Neighbors
Switch#  Port 1     Port 2           Port 1   Port 2
--------------------------------------------------------
  1        Ok         Ok                    2        6
  2        Ok         Ok                    1        3
  3        Ok         Ok                    4        2
  4        Ok        Down                 3      None
  5       Down      Ok                 None     6
  6        Ok         Ok                    5        1

Did this happen because I booted the new switch with only one port connected to the stack?

What will happen if I reload switch 6?  Won't switches 4 and 5 lose connectivity to one another because they don't have a link between themselves?

Hi,

Check out the below link for adding and removing a switch from the stack.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.1_19_ea1/configuration/guide/swstack.html

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganeshh,

that's the guide I used to add the 6th switch to the stack.  I didn't touch the connection between Switches 4 and 5.  Compatibility-wise, everything seems OK: All 5 Switches have the same IOS image and they stack just fine:

H/W   Current
Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State
----------------------------------------------------------
*1       Master 0012.d93b.5380     15     0       Ready
2       Member 0014.6a75.0580     14     0       Ready
3       Member 0015.f9bb.d980     13     0       Ready
4       Member 0015.f97b.7e00     12     0       Ready
5       Member 0018.1900.df80     11     0       Ready
6       Member 0017.e0de.1100     10     0       Ready

The problem is that the link between 4 and 5 went down during the process.  Because Switch 5's only connection to the stack is through Switch 6, I cannot reasonably "undo" what I did, because doing so would mean all the servers plugged in to Switch 5 would lose connectivity, and we can't have that.

I've checked the cable between Switches 4 and 5, connected it and reconnected it a dozen times, making sure the screws were finger tight and uniform all around, with no wiggle on the connector.  I've even exchanged the cable with a cable I know to work, but the link is still down.

I've thought about reloading Switch 6, but I can only assume that doing so would also cause Switch 5 to lose connectivity to the stack and cause lots of problems.

Edit: To be more accurate, I looked through the logs and found that the Stack Port connection between switches 4 and 5 went down shortly after Switch 6 came up and joined the stack.  Like I said before, I waited to complete the ring until after Switch 6 had joined.  Until that point, Switch 6 was connected to Switch 1.  It wasnt until I connected Switch 6 to Switch 5 that the link between Switch 5 and Switch 4 went down.

Logs:

May 29 12:54:42: %STACKMGR-5-SWITCH_READY: Switch 6 is READY (RT-BACKBONE-6)
May 29 12:56:49: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 4 has changed to state DOWN
May 29 12:56:50: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 6 has changed to state UP
May 29 12:56:50: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 5 has changed to state DOWN
May 29 12:56:50: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 5 has changed to state UP

As you can see, Switch 6 joined the stack without problem, but as soon as I closed the ring, an unrelated link went down. When I plugged in Port 2 Switch 5 > Port 1 Switch 6, Port 2 Switch 4 > Port 1 Switch 5 went down. All screws are tight (not too tight, just checked all of them) and no cables are loose.

I still have this problem.  I don't know why the link between 4 and 5 is down; I didn't even touch that link when adding the new switch.  I'm afraid that if I attempt to remove or restart Switch 6 that Switch 5 will lose connectivity.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

If I ran the commands:

3750-Stack#diagnostic start switch 4 test 1

3750-Stack#diagnostic start switch 5 test 1

to run the TestPortAsicStackPortLoopback test, what would happen? They're classified as non-disruptive tests, but the whole addition of a new stack member was supposed to also be non-disruptive and now it ain't working properly, so I don't really want to believe the documentation at this point.

If I run this loopback test in order to check to see if the actual stack-ports are faulty, would it cause the switches to lose data or disrupt network traffic in any way?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card