Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Re : Packet Capture

Hi,

I need to do a packet capture on Machine A and send the data to Machine B on a Cisco 4506 switch.

I plan to use wireshark as the protocol analyzer to do this.

I would like to confirm that the below way that I intend to do works :-

i) On the 4506, start a monitor session source for machine A and monitor session destination

for Machine B.

ii) On the Wireshark, all I have to do is start the capture right to see all the packets coming to and from machine A.

Would this be correct ? or am I missing anything else here ?

Pls advice,

Cheers,

SN.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I need to do a packet capture on Machine A and send the data to Machine B on a Cisco 4506 switch.

i) On the 4506, start a monitor session source for machine A and monitor session destination

for Machine B.

ii) On the Wireshark, all I have to do is start the capture right to see all the packets coming to and from machine A.

Pls advice,

Cheers,

SN.

Hi SN,

Yes this is the method if you want to capture traffic from Host A and to destination Bon the same vlan,Check out the below link for step by step configuration on span configuration on 4500

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015c612.shtml

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

before you start capturing, choose the right network adapter from :capture\option

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

for Machine B.

Pls advice,

Cheers,

SN.

Hi SN,

Yes this is the method if you want to capture traffic from Host A and to destination Bon the same vlan,Check out the below link for step by step configuration on span configuration on 4500

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015c612.shtml

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

before you start capturing, choose the right network adapter from :capture\option

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card