Views
Helpful
Replies

Band Selection on WLC

Mazzola68
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have installed one 5508 with 3 AP in lwapp mode for use with a band selection features, but my client with a linksys WUSB600N

use connection to 2.4Ghz.

Why ? Can you help me ?

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

leejohns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also remember that band select must be enabled globally on the WLC regardless of whether or not it is enabled on the individual WLAN:

Step 1 To globally enable or disable band selection on the controller, enter this command:

config band-select probe-response {enable | disable}

The default value is disabled. .

There are few bugs, CSCtf03958 and CSCtg94454, to add a note to the WLAN config (think MFP) and the documentatoin to make this more clear.

Thanks,

Lee

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check your setting on the client device.  Band select tries to make the 5ghz side preferable compared to the 2.4ghz.  In the end, the client still makes the decision.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott

Thanks for your answer, I want use a band selection because in a site I have hundreds  of clients and I don't want modify the client configuration, and I need that the prefered  band selection must be 5Ghz over a 2.4Ghz.

Thanks in advance

Here is another thread regarding ban select.  Now if you want them on the 5ghz, you can always set the radio policy on the ssid to 802.11a only.

Scott

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3109516#3109516

-Scott

Hi Scott, my client need move in  a 5Ghz the notebook a,N and use a 2.4 Ghz only for a old notebook 802.11 b,g.

Cisco have ensured  that the band selection works fine but when I have tested it with a linksys it connect over 2.4.

Bye

Client devices make the final decisIon.  It doesn't mean it will work for every type of client device.  If you have a bunch of useres already on the 5ghz, then iI can see why other devices use the 2.4ghz.  Band select doesntdoesn't force or make devices use the 5ghz band, it just make it look more preferable.

-Scott

Hi Scott thanks for all and have a good day

ps:I have opened a ticket c/o Linksys support

leejohns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also remember that band select must be enabled globally on the WLC regardless of whether or not it is enabled on the individual WLAN:

Step 1 To globally enable or disable band selection on the controller, enter this command:

config band-select probe-response {enable | disable}

The default value is disabled. .

There are few bugs, CSCtf03958 and CSCtg94454, to add a note to the WLAN config (think MFP) and the documentatoin to make this more clear.

Thanks,

Lee

Hi

I tried the band selection and I can not see the effects.
With some clients I always connect to 2.4Ghz and still others at 5 with Band Selection enabled and disabled.

Can you help me ?

What model of APs are you using?  Band select only works with 1140 and 1250 series APs.

Did you globally enable band select on the WLC:  config band-select probe-response {enable | disable} or from the GUI:  WIRELESS>Advanced>Band Select.

Thanks,

Lee

Hi Lee

Thanks for your support.

I test a solution with a 1142 but configure a band selection only from a Gui

Wireless advanced band select.

Is not Correct ?

Thanks

No, unless you have globally enabled the feature in the two ways I mentioned, the config on the WLAN is irrelevant.

Lee

Ok then also gui is enabled globally but then why not work?
Security is also enabled for each WLAN

Today I tried with 4 clients
3 11n and a 11a but work equally at 2.4 well with the band select enabled or sometimes to 5

with another client with a linksys wusb600n work only at 2.4 Ghz

Provided everything is enabled,  the radio policy is set to ALL on the WLAN, etc, all band select does is try and nudge a dual band client to try and see if they will associate on the 5Ghz band.  Delays the probe repsonse on the 2.4 band accoring to the number of probe cycles you configured for it to do so, but it doesn't mean that it never lets a dual band client associate at 2.4.  In the end, the client is the one that is going to make that decision.  You would need to get a wireless packet capture to see if the band select is actually working, i.e. delaying the probe response on 2.4.

If you go to MONITOR>Access Points>Radios>802.11b/g/n and then Details, do you see any band select statistics?  If not, then I would say get a wireless packet capture to see what is happening and then open a TAC case so one of us can take a look.

Thanks,

Lee

Ok in monitor radio 802.11n detail I can see some statistics about a band selection but without effect over my client.

How I can capture a wireless packet ?

Thanks

ps:Unfortunately my client buy the solution only if the band selection work

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card