Controller 5508 & network/path redundancy

Answered Question
May 31st, 2010
User Badges:

I have read in other threads that it is possible to use multiple AP Interfaces (LAG disabled) and have one port connected to one switch and the second trunk port connected to a second switch, with the two switches in question connected to each other and running HSRP (our two 6500 cores). My understanding on the 5508 controller is very limited and i've just been thrown into this as it's a 'high priority' project and got told today to sketch up something for a meeting later, but if I connect all this together, does that then not create a loop? I guess my question is, is data/network traffic passed through the 5508 from one trunk (port1) to the other (port2) and i'll end up getting flapping errors on my cores, as data would pass down one link from core1 to port1 (for example) and then back down port2 and onto the other core?

i'm reading through the version 6 document as we speak, but it's not specifically clear on the movement of traffic.

thanks!

Alan

Correct Answer by Scott Fella about 7 years 4 weeks ago

Correct.... you can't split up ports if the WLC is configured for LAG.  For your use, with 6 AP's, then yeah I don't see why using one port connected to different switches will cause performance issues.  If this is a trial and you decide later that you will have 2 WLC's, then connecto one to one swithc and the othe WLC to the other switch and use LAG.

Scott

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Scott Fella Mon, 05/31/2010 - 13:36
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

You will not create a bridge loop.... you will define what the primary & secondary port for a static or dynamic interface you create on the 5508.  Is the reason you are doing this because you only have one 5508?  Also are you sure you will not be oversubscribing either or the ports on the 5508?  Here is a link to another thread that might help also.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/344070

Scott

a.brazendale Mon, 05/31/2010 - 13:42
User Badges:

that's correct, we only have one 5508. Initially, we are only running

6 access points as a trial, for people's ipphones and some wireless laptops. However I guess this setup restricts us (if we want to stick with connecting to each of our cores) as we can't create two LAG on the 5508, so the other 6 ports wouldn't be of much use..

Correct Answer
Scott Fella Mon, 05/31/2010 - 13:46
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Correct.... you can't split up ports if the WLC is configured for LAG.  For your use, with 6 AP's, then yeah I don't see why using one port connected to different switches will cause performance issues.  If this is a trial and you decide later that you will have 2 WLC's, then connecto one to one swithc and the othe WLC to the other switch and use LAG.

Scott

Actions

This Discussion