cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Email WAN IP address with RVS4000

BaySelfStorage
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a dynamic IP address. Lately it seems to change a couple times a day. When it does, I have to log on to find out what the new address is, and then update all my computers that need to gain access to my work network. Is there any way to have the RVS4000 email me when the IP changes? Or is there another workaround?

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

You could get an DynDNS domain name for your RVS4000 WAN port at dyndns.com. The basic service is free as far as I know.

That option does not work for me as the software I am using will only accept numeric IP addresses. Thanks for the input.

Are you talking about software running on your PC?

I ask because I use a number of programs and gadgets that tell me my current Gateway/Router IP Address in Windows.

My main gadget which only works in Vista or Windows 7 is from: http://addgadget.com/ They have two... One for wired and one for wireless adapters on your PC.

Bruce

BaySelfStorage
Level 1
Level 1

Basically I have some security software that I am trying to access across the internet. There are several people offsite who need access, so I have to advise them when the IP address changes so they can enter it into the security software installed on their machines.

I have been trying to find something to email me the IP address, but so far anything I have found does not do the email portion, so I just started to wonder why the router could not do this itself.

Do you have any recommendations of utilities that would email the IP address when it changes? I need to be advised right away, not 4 hours later.

Thanks.

If you type

c:\>nslookup yourdomain.dyndns.org

in a Windows command line, you will get the IP address of your domain.

My main gadget which only works in Vista or Windows 7 is from: http://addgadget.com/ They have two... One for wired and one for wireless adapters on your PC.

The gadets update at once and have a copy link so you can copy the new address and email them without typo's. However, you need to watch the gadget to see the change.

If you are looking for an automated solution, you can check out Windows Powershell and create a new script. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/powershell.aspx

Bruce

The RVS-4000 will email you with IP Changes. However the problem

is you also get to much other data and you will have to process it somehow...

The RVS-4000 has the following log levels:

Log Level

Setting which level log Router should recorder. Level from 0 ~ 7 means:
0: LOG_EMERG(system is unusable)
1: LOG_ALERT(action must be taken immediately)
2: LOG_CRIT(critical conditions)
3: LOG_ERR(error conditions)
4: LOG_WARNING(warning conditions)
5: LOG_NOTICE(normal, but significant, condition)
6: LOG_INFO(informational message)
7: LOG_DEBUG(debug-level message)
You turn on what you want by selecting the levels of details.
You will not get your information unless you go above level 3. However level 4 and above and you will get message every second. And you will have to parse each and everone to find what you are looking for...

There it is...

Bruce

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: