Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy Issue

md farook
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

How can i track Next hop IP istead of tracking Interface of my own Router in HSRP because in between Service Provider Router and My Router there is one L2 Switch is there so even next hop connectivity goes down, interface on my router shows Up. So i can't switch the traffic automatically to the secondary link while next hop Ip Unreachable.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

How can i track Next hop IP istead of tracking Interface of my own Router in HSRP because in between Service Provider Router and My Router there is one L2 Switch is there so even next hop connectivity goes down, interface on my router shows Up. So i can't switch the traffic automatically to the secondary link while next hop Ip Unreachable.

Hi,

With IP SLA Track you can do the tracking and automatic failover to secondary link without any manaula intervention.

Check out the below link for more information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/fthsrptk.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

Hi,

With IP SLA Track you can do the tracking and automatic failover to secondary link without any manaula intervention.

Check out the below link for more information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/fthsrptk.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

I Strongly agree with you but thing is suppose  i configure this i.e.IP SLA in my Router and next hop is not reachable then how it work to switch traffic from primary to Secondary because we are using HSRP for Redundancy purpose. Can you tell me briefly.

I Strongly agree with you but thing is suppose  i configure this i.e.IP
SLA in my Router and next hop is not reachable then how it work to
switch traffic from primary to Secondary because we are using HSRP for
Redundancy purpose. Can you tell me briefly.

Hi,

You can track ip sla with hsrp cofnigured in your router/switches,check out the below link with example of IPSLA with HSRP configuration.

http://ciscodreamer.blogspot.com/2009/09/ip-sla-with-hsrp.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Nevyn Bergstrom
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately no aswer to the problem since I logged in to get an answer to a very similar problem.

We have 2 central switches which are connected to 2 stacks of blade switches. In turn the servers are connected to both stacks. As soon as a server detects a link-down on one of its NICs it automatically switches to only using the other NIC.

The problem occurs when one of the central switches is unavailable. We have considered making a simple script along these lines:

if

link down on interface A

then

shutdown on interface B-Z

else

no shutdown on interface B-Z

and then running it every 15-30 sec on the stacks.

Hopefully some of you have a better idea but thats about how far we've come...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card