Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS gateway with 2x PRI

neilobrien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what's the best way to handle a Call Manager IOS gateway with 2 PRIs where by one block of numbers have to go out one port and another block go out the other.

If I set up the gateway as a h323 gateway, I think I would need to set up seperate incoming dial-peers to match the calling number and push them out the relevent PRI.

However I'm just wondering if there's an easier way to do this with MGCP because the ports are handled by Call Manager.  I've never set up an MGCP gateway in production so I'd appreciate if someone could give me their thoughts?

Thanks,

Neil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The following link shows an example with H.323.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801bc341.shtml

To do this with MGCP, you would create separate partitions, route patterns/lists/groups, calling search spaces. The phones that dial out a particular PRI would have a CSS that has access to a partition assigned to a route pattern that points to the proper route list. The route list would contain a route group that has access to one of the PRI ports.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The following link shows an example with H.323.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801bc341.shtml

To do this with MGCP, you would create separate partitions, route patterns/lists/groups, calling search spaces. The phones that dial out a particular PRI would have a CSS that has access to a partition assigned to a route pattern that points to the proper route list. The route list would contain a route group that has access to one of the PRI ports.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon, that's exactly what I was looking for and what I had thought myself.

A few years back, a colleague warned me off ever setting up MGCP gateways and they've a reputation for being problematic, so i've only ever put in h323 gateways.  I've never actually put in an MGCP gateway so I don't know if their problematic or not.  Is this an Old Wives tale or do you know of any truth in it??

Thanks again,

Neil

Neil,

I haven't found MGCP to be problematic. However, H.323 is certainly more flexible. For example, you can configure translation rules to translate calling/called/redirect numbers, number plan/type, etc. Translation rules also allow you to route calls based on the calling number - you cannot do this with MGCP. There are several other functions available with H.323 that are not available with MGCP, such as caller ID on FXO ports. So, if you don't need these features, I've found that MGCP works well. Sometimes your feature needs, will force you towards H.323.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

that's great brandon, thanks for the advise.

thanks,

Neil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: