Views
Helpful
Replies

New UCL Licensing model confusion...

davidme
Level 1
Level 1

Evening All,

Just looking at how Cisco are phasing out the DLU licensing model and going with UCL and CUWL. I'd like come clarification around this so would appreciate it if anyone who understands could tell me if the following would be correct:

I have a customer who has Call Manager 7.1(2), Unity Connection and UCCX. They also have UCSS support.

If I upgrade them to 7.1(5) of CUCM - will all of the licenses be changed over directly to UCL licensing?

Also - around the 'adjunct' part of the UCL license; how does this affect my users if we use Extension Mobility and they will only be logged into a single phone at a time.

Any pointers in the right direction would be fantastic. I have read as much documentation as I can find and I still have questions for all of this.

Regards

Dave

2 Replies 2

Robert Thomas
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Dave,

I'm not very familiar with the actual CUWL licensing scheme but I can share with you the difference I have noticed between LIC files v1 and v2. With the release of CUCM 8.X as well of other appliances VMWARE support in 8.0.2 and upwards is a major change. In order to fully support virtualized environments we cannot longer trust the MAC Address for Licensing purposes. A concept of LicMacID was created that is a SHA value of all the different values used during the installation ( IP Address, Hostname, Mask, Timezone, Domain, etc ... ) The idea is that you cannot use a LIC for a VMWARE on a different VMWARE. if you change any of these values you will need to rehost the license file.

In 7.1.5 they are moving into the use of this LIC version 2 file. From what I have seen the three fields remain the same ( SW_Feature, Node, DLU ) and I have only need to re generate the license for the new version of LIC file.

If you have more infor about the changes I would appreciate the feedback.

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

davidme wrote:

If I upgrade them to 7.1(5) of CUCM - will all of the licenses be changed over directly to UCL licensing?

No, customers aren't forced to change from DLU to UCL with the first release.  CUCM is going to offer UCL with 7.1(5).  All other products will offer/are offering UCL with 8.0.  My understanding is that licensing for UCL/CUWL won't start being enforced until 9.0.  Though, I think that if you purchase a new 8.0 system you have to consider UCL.  Not sure there is a DLU part number anymore.  For upgrades, you aren't forced to switch.

Though, with that being said Cisco is offering some deals for customers to get off of DLU licensins.  There is "migrate to CUWL" promotion that gives a steep discount and something called 3&3 that will give a steep discount on moving from DLU to UCL.  Though, I think it requires 3 years of UCSS.  You should check with your channel account team to see if these deals are still being offered.

I am not sure about adjunct licensing and extension mobility.  That is an interesting question.  I do not have any information which suggests that you would have to drop the $85 bones for EM.  I would presume that the device is licensed to someone or in some way.  The EM profile does not require a license. So, in a way, your customer has already paid for the RTU.

Last pointer.  Ask your channel account team to carve out some time and find the "Pace Parade Laps: Quoting UC 8.0 Workshop".  It is a presentation put together by some folks at Cisco to try and help partners understand what the heck is going on.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: