Need something to give me status of all phones on system

Unanswered Question
Jun 1st, 2010

We just recently purchased our Cisco CME on a 3945 ISR with 130 7900 series phones all connected to some ESW 540 and 520 switches. We are having problems with the 540's which force a reboot of the switches as we make changes. Sometimes all the phones come back up and sometimes they dont. So that led me to ask, is there some graphic software already out there that could read the running config or something else to see how many phones are supposed to be running and check to see if they are up or not? I just simply want to know after I reset a switch which phones came back instead of walking all over my office and looking individually at each handset. Plus soon we will be deploying more phones in different cities in our other offices and in that case I wont be able to see what the phone display.

I would prefer if it has a nice GUI but I suppose I could deal with a command line interface if I had to.

I ran a search but couldnt find my answer.

Thanks for your help,

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Kenneth McCoig Mon, 06/14/2010 - 11:23

Thanks Kevin, the tool let me see everything currently connected to the switches but didnt show me what had previously connected and is now disconnected. It also wont recognize the 3945 ISR.

pratik.rb Wed, 06/02/2010 - 00:25

Hi Kenny,

You could simply telnet into CME Router and issue following commands:

show ephone registered -  to see phones come up and register successfully.

show ephone unregistered - to see phones still unregistered

Kenneth McCoig Mon, 06/14/2010 - 11:34

In general the show ephone commands worked for the phones that are connected and operating properly. For the ones showing "Configuring IP" they show as unregistered which I expected. But the phones that say "Requesting Line Status" are showing as Registered which I guess is technically correct but the phone is inoperable when this displays. I still need something more accurate to tell me when a phone is inoperable or not.

Again this goes back to the ESW 540 switches acting strange. Like I explained if you change a setting, save the config, then reboot the switch different ports randomly change become locked, some phones become unregistered, etc. Thats why I need to know what the status of the phones are. And yes I will post something in the switch area soon to troubleshoot that one.

This Discussion