Migrating AP's from multiple WLC 4400's to 1-WLC 5500

Unanswered Question
Jun 1st, 2010

We support a large campus with about 150 Cisco lightweight access points. Most are Cisco LAP1231G, some LAP1142. We're moving to a 5508 controller and will use an existing controller as backup for some ap's. 

The new controller will be configured from scratch.

I need a good method to migrate the ap's from the old controllers to the new controller.  The ap's are configured with static IP and LWAPP controller settings.  We'd like to configure a DHCP scope for the ap's with the appropriate Cisco controller options, then reset configurations on all of the access points.

I've checked the WCS templates, but I can't find the checkbox for resetting access point configurations.

I don't see a command in the controller CLI.  I know we can click the "Reset Configuration" button for each ap in the WLC GUI, but that's time consuming as we all know.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Scott Fella Tue, 06/01/2010 - 18:01

You can use the clear ap config .  If you have a list of hostnames, you can build a list in a spreadsheet and enter the commands on the WLC's.

Since you want to clear the AP configurations to factory, you can probobly configure the 5500 however you want it and place it on the same subnet as the other 2 WLC's or not.  Make sure of the code you want on the 5500 and verify the settings.  Configure the 5500 to master controller or use DHCP option 43 to point the LAP's to the 5500.  Test a couple AP's (each type) one by one to make sure they migrate to the 5500 successfully.  Then after the AP's have all been reset, you can reset the other WLC to factory default and re-configure them to what you need.

dancampb Wed, 06/02/2010 - 06:55

The easiest way to do this is to just put both controllers into the same mobility group then define the 5508 as the primary controller for the AP's.  They will move over to the 5508 and pull their config down from it.

Leo Laohoo Wed, 06/02/2010 - 16:58

Does the new controller and the old controller have the same IP addresses?  If yes, go to Controller > Advanced > Master Controller Mode and tick the box.

To move the APs, en-masse, from one controller to the new one, go to the old controller(s):

Wireless > Access Points > Radios > Global Configuration > look for High Availability and enter the Primary Controller IP Address and the name and click Apply.

reset configurations on all of the access points.

I don't see the logic to this.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Please don't forget to rate useful posts.

This Discussion

Related Content

Trending Topics - Security & Network