cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS supported versions and meaning of deferred IOS versions

vancampdax
Level 1
Level 1

I'm investigating our current installed IOS releases but I've got an issue with some specific releases and can't determine if it's still supported or if I need to upgrade it.

It concerns the 12.2(25)SEEx releases.

It's posted as a deferred release and the software advisory states that the minimum compatible realease is 12.2(35)xxx

But there are no posts of end-of-life or end-of-support for the 12.2(25)SEEx releases.

So what does deferred exactely mean ?

hardware is 3560G

4 Replies 4

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm investigating our current installed IOS releases but I've got an issue with some specific releases and can't determine if it's still supported or if I need to upgrade it.

It concerns the 12.2(25)SEEx releases.

It's posted as a deferred release and the software advisory states that the minimum compatible realease is 12.2(35)xxx

But there are no posts of end-of-life or end-of-support for the 12.2(25)SEEx releases.

So what does deferred exactely mean ?

hardware is 3560G

Hi,

Deferred releases ( DF) are not available for downloading because of known defects. These should not be installed on your router.That why compatible release has been given as 12.2(35)XX

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

OKE,

What about the support on such a release ?

Is it supported or do I need to upgrade to receive any kind of support ?

Deferred IOS images are not supported anymore official by Cisco. If you have any issue and you open a TAC request to them, the first thing that they will advice is to upgrade to latest stable version.

Also my advice would be do to this on a regular basis. Depending on the environment, I would suggest at least one time / device every 24 months.

Old images might encounter problems on new hardware or even on old one, and you'll not be able to find help. It's better to prevent this before happens.

Hi ,

You can use the Feature Navigator tool in cisco.com to compare 2 ios version and check which features would you miss out on and features which are necessary for your network and upgrade your devices.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch?act=compare&task=display

Do remember that when you go for upgrade :

If you are in a T- train series ie. 12.2(24)T series do go for a IOS in the same train.

If you have a main train then go for a IOS in main train.

T-Trains have Bug fixes and New features added to them where else in main train we have only Bug fixes involved.

Defered release : cisco has stopped support on these IOS version as they have too many bugs.

Please let me know if this was helpful.

Regards,

podhillo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: