WLSE to WCS Issues

Unanswered Question
Jun 2nd, 2010
User Badges:

Hi All

I have an old WLSE from a customer that has been converted to WCS Ver 4.0.96.0 and there are some issues:

1. The root password for the Linux operating system has been lost.

Anyone know a recovery mechanism?

2. The serial port doesn't seem to work with standard 232 cross-over cable, 9K6 and 8N1 no flow control etc.

Anyone know the pinout of the serial port?

3. Although the box has been converted to WCS, the Linux OS appears to be version 2.6 - I want to upgrade the WCS to version 6.0.181.0 and for that I need to be on version 5 of Linux. I thought the conversion process from WLSE to WCS included an upgrade of Linux to version 3.

Anyone have any experience or comments?

Any help gratefully received.

Regards

Roger

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
sschmidt Wed, 06/02/2010 - 06:47
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

1. The root password for the Linux operating system has been lost.

Anyone  know a recovery mechanism?

Can you try this procedure ( from location appliance but should be same ):

Recovering a Lost Root Password

If you lose or forget the root password for the location appliance,  follow these steps:

Step 1 When the GRUB screen comes up, press Esc to enter the boot menu.

Caution If you forget the GRUB password, you cannot login  and you will need to contact TAC to arrange for an RMA.

Step 2 Press e to edit.

Step 3 Navigate to the line beginning with "kernel," and  press e.

At the end of the line enter a space and the number one (1). Press Enter to save this  change.

Step 4 Press b to begin boot  sequence.

At the end of the boot sequence, a shell prompt appears.

Note The shell prompt does not appear  if you have set up a single user mode password.

Step 5 You can change the root password by entering the passwd command.

Step 6 Enter and confirm the new password.

Step 7 Restart the machine.

2. The serial port doesn't seem to work with  standard 232 cross-over cable, 9K6 and 8N1 no flow control etc.

Anyone  know the pinout of the serial port?

The one on the back should be standard.  Is it not working?

3. Although the box has been  converted to WCS, the Linux OS appears to be version 2.6 - I want to  upgrade the WCS to version 6.0.181.0 and for that I need to be on  version 5 of Linux. I thought the conversion process from WLSE to WCS  included an upgrade of Linux to version 3.

Anyone have any  experience or comments?

That is the kernel version ( 2.6 ).

Open a ticket with TAC.  With a valid support contract we can post an .iso for the upgrade to RH 5 to support WCS 6.x.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network