Wireless Controllers Question

Unanswered Question
Jun 2nd, 2010
User Badges:

Hello Guys -

I am fairly new to wireless and need some clarification on the different wireless controller options avilable from Cisco.

If I need to support 25 LWAPP AP's, then what specific controller series (4000 or 2000) should I go with?

4000 is much more expensive, but I haven't been able to spot too may differences between the two series.

I know 4000 is Gigabit Ethernet and 2000 is Fast Ethernet, 4000 offers redundant power supply, and 2000 does not. But other than this, are there any other big glaring diffferences between the two?

Also, from what I have read, you only need WCS when using multiple WLC's. But if I have only 1 WLC, then I wouldn't need WCS. Is that correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you. 

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Wed, 06/02/2010 - 15:29
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

If I need to support 25 LWAPP AP's, then what specific controller series (4000 or 2000) should I go with?

You have a number of choices:

1.  WLC 2100;

2.  WLC 4400;

3.  WLC 5508;

4.  3750G (standard PoE) with integrated WLC (25 and 50 AP); and

5.  Cisco ISR with WLC network module

In my personal opinion, if you need to support up to 25 APs, you should be aiming for  the 50 AP support (for growth).  Which means that the 2100, 4402-50, the 3750G and the 5508 is a prime candidate.  (Note:  I'm not familiar with option #5 so I'm not going to get myself run-over by people who know more than I do.  )

Next question:  DO you need specific features like OfficeExtend and Wireless Plus?  These are a few specific functions that are specialized by the 5508 only.  If you don't need this then you have the 2100, 4402-50, and 3750G.

Next, as you mentioned earlier, the price of the 4402 doesn't persuade you.  So this narrows your choice down to either the 2100 and the 3750G.  I'm no big fan of the 2100 so I'll leave the decision up to you.

With only one WLC to contend with, you don't need WSC unless you want reporting and schedules.  One of the benefits of WSC in a SME is the function of shutting off the radios outside business hours.

Hope this helps.

Please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

ksarin123_2 Thu, 06/03/2010 - 07:23
User Badges:

Thanks for your reply.

You mentioned that you're not a big fan of the 2100 series. So is there anything specific about that series you don't like?

Also, I didn't think any of the model of the 2000 series supported 50 APs?

Leo Laohoo Thu, 06/03/2010 - 16:29
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

The 2100 is a very cut-down version of the 4400 (heck, except for the 5508 everything else is the 4400 but hardware/software disabled or limited) and it's very slow.  It's not designed for APs that are intended to run 802.11n because of the 10/100BaseTx interface.  There are some functions, like LAG, that are not supported.

The only time I would have the 2100 is when I'm have a test environment or a demo.  Otherwise, I would always recommend a WLC 4400 as the most basic stuff and move up. 

jhedstr2 Fri, 06/04/2010 - 07:02
User Badges:

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Cisco have unofficially announced that WLC4400-series will go end-of sale within a couple of month, so then it’s easier to choose.

Kind Regards

Johan

ksarin123_2 Fri, 06/04/2010 - 09:38
User Badges:

So if you had to choose the 2112 versus the Wireless LAN Controller module for ISR's, which one would you choose?

And why?

Thanks!

Leo Laohoo Fri, 06/04/2010 - 22:30
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

So if you had to choose the 2112 versus the Wireless LAN Controller module for ISR's

Only these two?  I'd choose the NME-AIR over the 2112.
jhedstr2 Wed, 06/09/2010 - 06:54
User Badges:

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

One scenario when 2100-series can be used, and I have installed some, is in warehouses. Here you might have a very large area to cover, but very few clients, like forklifts och handscanners, sending very little traffic. You still would use the n-standard to overcome multipath and reflection. In this scenario 2100-series work fine and will save some money.  

Actions

This Discussion