cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Manually create phones with dummy MAC addresses

Michael Murray
Level 2
Level 2

I am doing BAT/TAPS deployment but occasionally need to add one or two phones manually that get missed in the BAT files. I want the phone to still go through the auto-registration and TAPS process. But when I add a phone I don't see an option to just use a dummy MAC address. Can I just manually put on in like 112233445566 or does the dummy address have to follow some sort of format and/or be generated by CUCM?

Thanks,

-mike

3 Replies 3

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use dummy MAC addresses.  You just need to make sure they are 12 numeric and/or alphanumeric values that would be acceptable within a MAC address.  What I typically do is use the date and then a number indicating how many dummy devices were added.  For ex:

So, this would be 2 phones added with dummy MAC's on today's date.  When I do searches for those phones, I simply need to search for device name begins with (or contains) 2010.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi David,

Quick question on dummy mac address

how does CM distinguish between a Dummy mac and real MAC, i can have a CIPC and assign a MAC 12345678910 which is sort of Dummy but also real once assigned to CIPC. Also when you add a dummy mac does CM deducts DLUs from its bank ? i guess not

CM will accept any input as long as it contains 12 hexadecimal characters (i.e. adadadadadad, FFFF111111FF). Once you click save button it will deduct the required units from your licenses.

Hope it helps, please remember to rate if it does.

Regards,

- Adrian.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: