Views
Helpful
Replies

Inventory Collection Failed - Nexus 5010

lvravikrishna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have installed LMS 3.2, with RME upgraded from 4.3.0 to 4.3.1. Inventory collection is getting failed for Nexus 5010 switches. I tried by increasing the SNMP timeout from 2 to 10 seconds but could not get the desired result. Here i am attaching the IC_Server log file for reference. Appreciate your help to solve this issue.

The message i am getting after inventory collection failed is "Device Sensed, but collection failed"

Nexus boxes are running with  NX-OS:4.1(3)N2(1a)

Thanks,

Ravi

10 Replies 10

Joel Monge
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, upgrade all your packages.  Make sure you have the latest Common Services and RME packages.  Then try the Inventory job again.  If it still fails, post a new log.

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the Reply.

I am running common services 3.3.0 and RME 4.3.1 which are updated. When ever i try to do Device update from common services i am getting the following message.." The installation of device package(s) failed. Check software center-->activity log--> event log for details. But i could not find any logs. Here i am attaching my psu.log for reference.

Thanks,

Ravi

Make sure there aren't any psu.lock files under CSCOpx.  Turn Software Center debugging on under CS > Server > Admin > CS Log Configurations and try the package update again via the GUI.  If it fails again, try downloading the packages instead of choosing install.  Then run the update via DOS with the below command:

NMSROOT/CSCOpx/bin>PSUCli.bat -p rme -install -src c:\packages -all

NMSROOT would be your installation path (by default C:\Program Files\CSCOpx) and c:\packages would be the location where you downloaded all the packages to install.  Post the complete output you get of this command along with the new psu.log with debugging.

I would normally suspect your package repository could be corrupted, but I have recently seen a trend of these issues coming up indicating there might be more to it.  To check on your packages health, go to \CSCOpx\www\classpath\com\cisco\nm\xms\psu\pkgs\rme on a DOS prompt in the server and issue the command:

dir > c:\RMEpack.txt

Then go to \CSCOpx\MDC\tomcat\webapps\rme\WEB-INF\lib\pkgs and issue the command:

dir > c:\MAINpack.txt 

Post the .txt files from your C drive along with your NMSROOT/www/classpath/com/cisco/nm/xms/psu/maps/rme*.map files.

Hi Joel,

I tried to upload the patches again through GUI and through locally but could not able to do it. I am getting the same error " The installation of device packages failed. Check event log for details". As suggested by you, i did enable the debugging and executed all the procedural steps mentioned by you. Attached are the logs for reference.

Thanks,

Ravi

The psu.log is missing from the ZIP.  Also, please post these outputs:

- From DOS:

psucli -p rme -query -all
psucli -p cmf -query -all

- What packages are the ones that are available to install from Cisco.com?  Post the list.

- Post screenshot of Common Services > Software Center > Software Update.

- Post the upgrade log from 4.3.0 to 4.3.1 which should be under your C drive (Ciscoworks_install_xxx_xxx).

I am not getting any output when i execute the following commands from system dos prompt.

psucli -p rme -query -all

psucli -p cmf -query -all

Attached are the psu.log, screen shot and ciscoworks installation log.

Thanks,

Ravi

This psu.log does not seem to have debugging turned on so there aren't any errors here.  Did you turn on the debugging as requested before?  That install log is not for RME 4.3.1 so I cannot use that to check for any possible problems during installation.  The psucli commands should return output, what exactly do you get on the  prompt when you issue that command?  Post a screenshot.  Are you on the latest Common Services packages?  Can you perform an upgrade just of the Common Services packages and then try the RME packages?  If this still fails, see if you have anything under Common Services > Software Center > Activity Log > Event Log for any other failure details.  Also, post the psu.log with debugging enabled along with the screenshot of the psucli commands.

That being said, this would likely be resolved running a package recovery procedure.  You need to contact TAC to provide you an up to date package repository for 4.3.1 and the steps to patch your server up.  You might want to get that going to speed up the resolution.  Your repository could have been corrupted during the 4.3.0 upgrade to 4.3.1.  The following DOC contains reasons why this can occur as well as steps to avoid this issue in the future.

Hi Joel,

I did enabled the debugging at CS->Server->Admin->CS Log Configuration and screen shot is attached for reference.

I tried updating Common services through CS->Software Center->Software update, after providing the login credentials i am getting the following messages "No Updates avaliable in cisco.com for selected product(s).

The psucli command is not displaying any outpout, screen shot is attached for reference. I am not able see any log for failed patch updates at Common Services > Software Center > Activity Log > Event Log. Only completed events are been shown.

Do you think reinstalling the LMS and upgrading RME from 4.3.0 to 4.3.1 would resolve this problem? I had installed LMS3.2 on VM does i need to do any extra configuration. Please suggest.

Thanks,

Ravi

The problem you are seeing will likely not be resolved with a re-install.  As I had mentioned, I recently saw a trend of these issues and thanks to Joe Clarke's assistance, it was discovered there is a circular dependency problem in two packages which will trigger a stack overflow as seen on your psucli upgrade attempt:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StackOverflowError

So my suggestion is to contact TAC and have them provide you an up to date package repository and this problem should be resolved.

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your support. I will open a TAC with cisco and keep you update once it is done.

Thanks,

Ravi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco