Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Unity 4.0.3 to Unity 4.0.5

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hello all,

I am currently running Unity 4.0.3 and as  part of the steps to upgrade to Unity Connection 8.x I first have to upgrade to Unity 4.0.5 since the COBRAS tool only supports Unity 4.0.5 and later. So my first hurdle is to get from 4.0.3 to 4.0.5 and I have a few questions regarding the upgrade from 4.0.3 to 4.0.5.

- I have a redundant Unity environment. Do you I do the upgrade on the primary server first then upgrade the secondary ?

- Do I just simply download the 4.0.5 software from CCO and run it on top of the 4.0.3 ?

- Is there anything on the Windows or Exchange side of things that I need to worry about ?

- Should I pull out one of the mirrored drives before starting the installation ?

- Anything else that I need to be concern ?

Thanks in advance !!! I appreciate any inputs / suggestions !!

D.

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First, take a look here and select the appropriate upgrade and reconfiguration guide (i.e., Unity w/Exchange vs. Domino, etc).

http://conft.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_installation_guides_list.html

If you're the typical Unity w/Exchange and failover, then you should start here:

http://conft.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/upgrade/guide/ex/ru_010.html

Other questions:

Redundancy - technically, you can go either way.  You upgrade the failover server first OR failover and upgrade the primary first.

Installation of software - refer to the guides above.

Windows or Exchange concerns - Since you are migrating to CUC, you can go with Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 as 4.0(5) supports either.  COBRAS doesn't care about the OS.  Exchange, simply refer to the guides above.

Mirrored drives - you can certainly do that.  I would recommend mirroring up with a spare drive before you start the upgrade/reinstall process.

For tips on the COBRAS migration process to go from Unity to Unity Connection, refer to this:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/user-group/c-mug-archive/824-cisco-unity-connection-migration.html

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

Well, you can't quite do that.  You MUST restore to the exact same version of Unity  you backed up.  The same build version backed up is stored  in the backup files and is checked before allowing a restore to  continue.  For more info, go here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/Unity/DIRT/Help/index.html

You're still going to be using the procedures outlined here: http://conft.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/upgrade/guide/ex/ru_010.html

In your case, you are going to be upgrading from 4.0(3) to 4.0(5).  You just need to make sure you are comfortable with the procedures and pick out any version-specific procedures that do (and do not) apply to you.

Hailey

Well, some of what you need to do depends on what was installed when you did the 4.0(3) install.  Honestly, the 4x stuff is a bit dated so it's hard to say definitely what you should have installed in that environment vs. what would be required for 5x and 7x as it's just been a while.  But, you don't necessarily need to complete every step.  There can be some schema changes from one version to the next.  I don't know for sure that there would be between two 4x versions; however, you should be able to look at the documentation for the schema in both versions and see if there are any changes.  You won't really need to re-do the permissions tasks and associated account creations.  You already have this in place from the initial install.  If you did happen to re-run the Permissions Wizard, that's OK.  If something is already set, the wizard doesn't undo anything.  The only changes that would be made are if you happen to flag a different option (e.g., allow Unity to Administer AD) that was was unflagged in the original installation (i.e., that permission is currently not set).  In other words, the wizard is only going to set new permissions - not undo old ones.  Again, this should be taken care of already.  CUSPA would probably be unnecesary but would be benign as well.  As for Exchange, it just depends on what you are running now.  If you meet the prerequisites for the version of Exhange you're running, then you can likely skip those tasks as well.  From there, you would basically be doing an in-place upgrade (or rebuild) of Unity by installing 4.0(5) over what is in place.  That's why I don't really think the terms "upgrade" and "Unity" fit together from an operational perpective.  One key advantage is if you can get a mirrored copy of the drives before you start.  Make sure that you ensure you can boot from your spare drive in case you need it.  If you do, this makes your life so much easier because if something goes awry - you have a full-on backup to reboot from so you can't go wrong (unless you don't test the drive OR you have a hardware failure but let's hope that doesn't happen).

Hailey

I've always thought you could do this.  Unless there is something about 4x that prevents it, I envisioned the process being something like this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/white/paper/50curollupgrade.html#wp38548

Refer to the section that starts off as "Doing a Rolling Upgrade to Cisco Unity 4x Software...".

It may be a worth a quick note to your Cisco AM to confirm but I would think you could do this in general...the starting/ending versions are different but (IMO) the principles are the same.

Hailey

Yes, during the upgrade process you should run both of these as stated.  It's benign and will ensure you get partnered up and sync'd the mailstore and that all the service accounts are bound properly.

Hailey

15 Replies 15

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First, take a look here and select the appropriate upgrade and reconfiguration guide (i.e., Unity w/Exchange vs. Domino, etc).

http://conft.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_installation_guides_list.html

If you're the typical Unity w/Exchange and failover, then you should start here:

http://conft.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/upgrade/guide/ex/ru_010.html

Other questions:

Redundancy - technically, you can go either way.  You upgrade the failover server first OR failover and upgrade the primary first.

Installation of software - refer to the guides above.

Windows or Exchange concerns - Since you are migrating to CUC, you can go with Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 as 4.0(5) supports either.  COBRAS doesn't care about the OS.  Exchange, simply refer to the guides above.

Mirrored drives - you can certainly do that.  I would recommend mirroring up with a spare drive before you start the upgrade/reinstall process.

For tips on the COBRAS migration process to go from Unity to Unity Connection, refer to this:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/user-group/c-mug-archive/824-cisco-unity-connection-migration.html

Hailey

Thanks David !!! I appreciate your detail response !!!

D.

Hi David,

I've gone through the link you sent and it looks like it's for upgrading from Unity 4.x to the shipping verision. Do you have the upgrade procedure for Unity 4.x to Unity 4.0.5 ?

I hope I don't have to reinstall from scratch then restore from DiRT for this upgrade.

Thanks !!!

D.

The procedures are fairly generic.  When that document was written (originally), the current shippingv version would have implied something in the 4x train of Unity.  To be honest, I think the word "upgrade" when used in the same sentence as "Unity" is misleading.  It's more of an in-place rebuild vs. a fresh install/restore approach.

Hailey

Thanks David,

It sounds like it's going to be a fresh install of 4.0.5 then restore from DiRT for this upgrade. Can you confirm this for me please !!!

Thanks again !!!

D.

Well, you can't quite do that.  You MUST restore to the exact same version of Unity  you backed up.  The same build version backed up is stored  in the backup files and is checked before allowing a restore to  continue.  For more info, go here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/Unity/DIRT/Help/index.html

You're still going to be using the procedures outlined here: http://conft.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/upgrade/guide/ex/ru_010.html

In your case, you are going to be upgrading from 4.0(3) to 4.0(5).  You just need to make sure you are comfortable with the procedures and pick out any version-specific procedures that do (and do not) apply to you.

Hailey

Hi David,

I am going through the "Task List for Upgrading Unity 4.x to the Shipping Version with Failover Configured" and it's really confusing, I see it talks about Extending the AD Schema for Cisco Unity, Creating New AD Accounts for Cisco Unity Installation and Services, Setting Permissions  by Using the Permission Wizard, Running the Cisco Unity System Preparation Assistant, Installing Exchange 2k SP3 and the Post-Service Pack 3 Rollup .. etc... It sounds like installing a fresh system. I've been on 4.0.3 for a few years and have not done any upgrades for quite sometime, so I am kinda lost at the moment. I don't think I need to go through all those steps do I ?

I think in my case I just simply download the 4.0.5 version of software and run it.

Thanks David !!! I very much appreciate your help !!!

D.

Well, some of what you need to do depends on what was installed when you did the 4.0(3) install.  Honestly, the 4x stuff is a bit dated so it's hard to say definitely what you should have installed in that environment vs. what would be required for 5x and 7x as it's just been a while.  But, you don't necessarily need to complete every step.  There can be some schema changes from one version to the next.  I don't know for sure that there would be between two 4x versions; however, you should be able to look at the documentation for the schema in both versions and see if there are any changes.  You won't really need to re-do the permissions tasks and associated account creations.  You already have this in place from the initial install.  If you did happen to re-run the Permissions Wizard, that's OK.  If something is already set, the wizard doesn't undo anything.  The only changes that would be made are if you happen to flag a different option (e.g., allow Unity to Administer AD) that was was unflagged in the original installation (i.e., that permission is currently not set).  In other words, the wizard is only going to set new permissions - not undo old ones.  Again, this should be taken care of already.  CUSPA would probably be unnecesary but would be benign as well.  As for Exchange, it just depends on what you are running now.  If you meet the prerequisites for the version of Exhange you're running, then you can likely skip those tasks as well.  From there, you would basically be doing an in-place upgrade (or rebuild) of Unity by installing 4.0(5) over what is in place.  That's why I don't really think the terms "upgrade" and "Unity" fit together from an operational perpective.  One key advantage is if you can get a mirrored copy of the drives before you start.  Make sure that you ensure you can boot from your spare drive in case you need it.  If you do, this makes your life so much easier because if something goes awry - you have a full-on backup to reboot from so you can't go wrong (unless you don't test the drive OR you have a hardware failure but let's hope that doesn't happen).

Hailey

Hi David,

As always I very much appreciate your help !!!

It's been awhile since I installed 4.0.3 but I remember I've gone through all the steps mentioned in the "Upgrading 4.x to the Shipping Version" procedures. I don't know about you but I am really confused the way this procedure is written. But I think I feel a bit better now, I don't think I'll have to go through all the steps in the procedures. At first I thought I'll have to install a fresh 4.0.5 version then restore from DiRT but that is not the case for this upgrade I don't think.

Do you know if there is a way to check the level of service pack / hotfix for Exchange 2k ?

Thanks David !!!

D.

To verify the Exchange Server build and service pack, follow these instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152439/

Hailey

Hi David,

In the case of a failover environment which is what I have. Will callers and subcribers be able to record or listen to messages on the secondary server while the primary server is being upgrade ? and Do I need to stop Unity before starting the 4.0.5 upgrade install ? Thanks !!!

I am going through the "Task List for upgrading Cisco Unity 4.x to the Shipping Version with Failover Configured" and saw the paragraph below and I was under the impression that callers and subscribers will be able to record and listen to messages while the primary server is being upgrade.  Please confirm this for me !!!

The failover feature cannot be used for continuing Cisco Unity service on one server while upgrading the Cisco Unity software on the other server. Both the primary and secondary servers must be out of service while the Cisco Unity software is upgraded. The secondary server cannot handle voice messaging while the primary server is being upgraded. While you do the upgrade, callers and subscribers will not be able to record or listen to voice messages. We recommend that you upgrade when phone traffic is light, for example, after business hours.

Thanks David !!

D.

I've always thought you could do this.  Unless there is something about 4x that prevents it, I envisioned the process being something like this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/white/paper/50curollupgrade.html#wp38548

Refer to the section that starts off as "Doing a Rolling Upgrade to Cisco Unity 4x Software...".

It may be a worth a quick note to your Cisco AM to confirm but I would think you could do this in general...the starting/ending versions are different but (IMO) the principles are the same.

Hailey

Hi David !!

I've confirmed with TAC and their response was, yes users will be able to access voicemail while the secondary server is active and the primary server is being upgraded.

Could you confirm below for me !!! Under "Upgrading and Configuring Cisco Unity Software" from the task list. Do I need to run Unity services configuration and Unity Message Store configuration wizard ? Thanks David !!!

Upgrading and Configuring Cisco Unity Software

To upgrade and configure Cisco Unity software, you use the Cisco Unity  Installation and Configuration Assistant to run four programs in a  specific order. The programs:

Check the system and upgrade the  Cisco Unity software.

Configure the Cisco Unity services.

Configure Cisco Unity for the message  store.

Configure the Cisco Personal  Communications Assistant to use SSL, if applicable.

Do the procedures in the following two subsections in the order listed.

Yes, during the upgrade process you should run both of these as stated.  It's benign and will ensure you get partnered up and sync'd the mailstore and that all the service accounts are bound properly.

Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: