cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS 7800 series server, model info, needed for Unity connection

hutto.txed.net
Level 1
Level 1

I have a old Cisco server, the only info I have is the front panel label  "Cisco mcs 7800 series server", Is there a way to see what model number this server is 7825, etc.  The serial number does not match anything that Cisco TAC has.  The reason I am asking these questions is because I just received my Unity connection dvd's for 7.1 and I want to test on this server.  The biggest problem so far is the server  only has a cd drive and wont boot from the dvd's, and I was trying to find info on how to replace the cd drive with a dvd drive.  Any help with this box will be greatly appreciated.

7 Replies 7

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As for what CUC 7x supports, here is the supported platforms list: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps5745/ps6509/data_sheet_c78-491743.html

As for the server you have now, can you boot the server at all?  Other questions:

1) How many hard drives?

2) How much RAM?

3) Any other potentially identifying information such as stickers on the top, side, or rear panels that might indicate model or manufacturer?

From a support standpoint, I am guessing that your server is likely old and not supported.  If you install the DVD drive and get it to boot from the installation media, you may (can't say for sure) find that a lot of work went into finding out that the server won't support the application.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you know what application you were running on it that could give you a hint to find out what you have, ie if you were running UCCX most likely this is a dead end.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

If you have Windows based CallManager on the server at the moment you can get some useful info from the Windows Registry. Run regedit and go to the value below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cisco Systems\Model\Hardware

Thanks for all the replies, using the regedit it says i have a mcs 7825 server, will this work for Unity Connection 7.1?  I am only going to use this box to test the installation of Unity Connection, If I cannot use the CD drive, Can i test on a VM window from VMware?

Unfortunately that's not enough information, look at the link Hailey posted and you'll notice it's not just enought to know it's a 7825.

Cisco MCS 7825I4-K9-UCB1

Cisco MCS 7825H4-K9-UCB1

Cisco MCS 7825-I4-ECS1

Cisco MCS 7825-H4-ECS1

Cisco MCS 7825-l2-UC1 and MCS 7825-I2-ECS1

Go ahead and try, if it's not a supported platform you'll get the notification when you try to install.

It might be supported if you upgrade HDD and/or RAM. But the 1st thing is to find out the exact model.

If you upgrade HDD and RAM and still get a not supported message the server is most likely for other Cisco app and not for CUC.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I agree with Java.  You'd need to at least compare the hardware specs (CPU, memory, HDDs) to the models listed as supported.  If the box is unused, it can't hurt to try and load CUC on it.  When you boot from disc, a hardware check will be ran and specifies which of 3 applications (CUCM, CUC, CUCM Business Edition) is supported on the platform.  For example, I ran a CUCM install on a 7825 demo depot box from Cisco for a client today.  The hardware check came back and verified that CUCM BE was not supported but I could install either CUCM or CUC and I made my selection accordingly.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks for the great answers, It looks like I wont be able to use this old server.  I will look for a supported server.

Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: