Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 - MEM-MSFC3-1GB upgrade

Rafael Jimenez
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

under which criteria should I do this upgrade (MEM-MSFC3-1GB) for a sup720?
Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

belovell
Level 1
Level 1

This would be needed for something along the lines of "I have 512MB of RAM and I am low or out of memery when I activate all my BGP peers". Each full internet table will take very roughly 230MB. Upgrading to 1GB of memory on the MSFC will allow you to hold a bigger BGP table.

Be warned, this will NOT increase the number of routes that can be programed into TCAM for hardware forwarding. This is memory for the RP only.

-Ben

View solution in original post

Hi,

According to memory guidance for 6500 series;

Upgrade Considerations for memory:

(1) Large route tables >25k entries

(2) Premium features (for example, enhanced Fast Software Upgrade [eFSU], In-Service Software Upgrade [ISSU])

(3) Right size memory now for future Cisco IOS Software images on Cisco Catalyst 6500/Cisco 7600 Series Supervisor Engine 720 Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 32 and ME6524

Here is more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/qa_c67_457347.html

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

belovell
Level 1
Level 1

This would be needed for something along the lines of "I have 512MB of RAM and I am low or out of memery when I activate all my BGP peers". Each full internet table will take very roughly 230MB. Upgrading to 1GB of memory on the MSFC will allow you to hold a bigger BGP table.

Be warned, this will NOT increase the number of routes that can be programed into TCAM for hardware forwarding. This is memory for the RP only.

-Ben

Hellos Ben,

What about MEM-SUP720-SP-1GB?.

Later..

Hi,

According to memory guidance for 6500 series;

Upgrade Considerations for memory:

(1) Large route tables >25k entries

(2) Premium features (for example, enhanced Fast Software Upgrade [eFSU], In-Service Software Upgrade [ISSU])

(3) Right size memory now for future Cisco IOS Software images on Cisco Catalyst 6500/Cisco 7600 Series Supervisor Engine 720 Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 32 and ME6524

Here is more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/qa_c67_457347.html

HTH

Reza

rafaeljimenez wrote:

Hellos Ben,

What about MEM-SUP720-SP-1GB?.

Later..

That would be the memory upgrade for the switch processor on the SUP to 1GB.

-Ben

Hi all,

Now I have Router 7613 with SUP

WS-Sup720-3BXL. Can I use DRAM ( 1GB) include SP and RP to change DRAM on 7609. I want to upgrade SP and RP RAM on 7609 from 512M to 1G.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card