Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 - MEM-MSFC3-1GB upgrade

Rafael Jimenez
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

under which criteria should I do this upgrade (MEM-MSFC3-1GB) for a sup720?
Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

belovell
Level 1
Level 1

This would be needed for something along the lines of "I have 512MB of RAM and I am low or out of memery when I activate all my BGP peers". Each full internet table will take very roughly 230MB. Upgrading to 1GB of memory on the MSFC will allow you to hold a bigger BGP table.

Be warned, this will NOT increase the number of routes that can be programed into TCAM for hardware forwarding. This is memory for the RP only.

-Ben

View solution in original post

Hi,

According to memory guidance for 6500 series;

Upgrade Considerations for memory:

(1) Large route tables >25k entries

(2) Premium features (for example, enhanced Fast Software Upgrade [eFSU], In-Service Software Upgrade [ISSU])

(3) Right size memory now for future Cisco IOS Software images on Cisco Catalyst 6500/Cisco 7600 Series Supervisor Engine 720 Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 32 and ME6524

Here is more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/qa_c67_457347.html

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

belovell
Level 1
Level 1

This would be needed for something along the lines of "I have 512MB of RAM and I am low or out of memery when I activate all my BGP peers". Each full internet table will take very roughly 230MB. Upgrading to 1GB of memory on the MSFC will allow you to hold a bigger BGP table.

Be warned, this will NOT increase the number of routes that can be programed into TCAM for hardware forwarding. This is memory for the RP only.

-Ben

Hellos Ben,

What about MEM-SUP720-SP-1GB?.

Later..

Hi,

According to memory guidance for 6500 series;

Upgrade Considerations for memory:

(1) Large route tables >25k entries

(2) Premium features (for example, enhanced Fast Software Upgrade [eFSU], In-Service Software Upgrade [ISSU])

(3) Right size memory now for future Cisco IOS Software images on Cisco Catalyst 6500/Cisco 7600 Series Supervisor Engine 720 Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 32 and ME6524

Here is more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/qa_c67_457347.html

HTH

Reza

rafaeljimenez wrote:

Hellos Ben,

What about MEM-SUP720-SP-1GB?.

Later..

That would be the memory upgrade for the switch processor on the SUP to 1GB.

-Ben

Hi all,

Now I have Router 7613 with SUP

WS-Sup720-3BXL. Can I use DRAM ( 1GB) include SP and RP to change DRAM on 7609. I want to upgrade SP and RP RAM on 7609 from 512M to 1G.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco