cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Configuration Recommendations for Small Home Network

nabioullinr
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently purchased a used Cisco Catalyst 3512XL switch (12.0 firmware) for a small home network (~3 PCs, 2 printers, server with GbE NIC, WAP). I currently have the default settings, but I want to take advantage of all the functions that the firmware offers that would be relevant to such a network; i.e., user accounting would be useless, but storm control might be useful in case of a host on the network becoming compromised with malware causing a broadcast flood.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd be careful using 3500XL with modern or latest generation of Gig NICs.  I was involved with a multi-million dollar project to roll out new PCs with Gig cards (Intel).  I was with the network team and we noticed that there are some cases where the ports would just flap like mad!  We managed to fix by hard-coding speed and duplex.

Enable spanning-tree portfast and BPDU guard would be good.  Storm control on a XL switch?  Never thought that it was supported but I could be wrong.  Regularly clean the fan blades because the accumulation of compressed dusts all over the fans can strain the bearings.  The accumulated dusts plus a very weak bearing can be very noisy plus can cause the bearings to fail.

mbroberson1
Level 3
Level 3

I would consider just picking up a used 3550/24 if its just for a small home network. The 3550 will do everything you want then some. If space is an issue and you want a switch a little smaller then consider the 2490 switch, it is an 8 port switch you can sit on a pc and will also run all nessesary features.

Please rate if posting help.

Kind Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card