cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A little help with a used UC520

William Paulsen
Level 1
Level 1

Upon the advice here, I just received a used UC520-8U.  (I'm having constant problems with a SPA9000/SPA400 with 10 SPA504g phones.  So I asked here if the UC500 is reasonable.  I bought used on Ebay because a new one is too expensive.)

When I powered it up the 8 RJ45 LAN green lights came on, but then when off about 30 seconds later.  When I plugged in a PC they are not live.  The WLAN jack is live, but I don't know the IP address.  I called Cisco tech support to inquire about a hard reset button, but I need a Cisco tech support contract, however the tech mentioned there's no reset button and to connect to the CLI.

I did not get the RJ45/Serial cable with the UC520, so I haven't been able to try the CLI.   I've looked on the Cisco website for a detailed UC520 admin manual, but I've only found a Quickstart guide (and also the CCA and other web manuals).  Is there a more detailed manual somewhere?  I'd like to know the pinout of the RJ45 so I can make my own serial adapter cable.

So - any hints for how to proceed?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Bill,

I have unicast a email to your gmail account.  Upgrading SHOULD be a easy process now that you have all the software.

If i can avoid CLI, i will avoid CLI.

regards Dave

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There,

Firstly I would encourage you to consider purchasing SMARTnet on the UC-500 appliance, it is an extremely small price to pay, and you will not realize how useful it is until you really need it.

Secondly, I would have a guess that whom ever you purchased it off didn't know how to reset it to factory defaults and decided to sterilize it by deleting the NVRAM, I highly doubt that the ports are faulty, not all 8 of them, if you plugged a PC into them and you didn't get an IP address, it would be because the system may have zero config on it.

What you need is a console cable, you can get these just about anywhere, go to your local swap meet club I am sure you will find a ton of them there. You may also need a Serial-2-USB adapter, this will convert the serial back to USB so you can use it on your computer.You will also need a program like Putty or SecureCRT and other derivatives so you can jump on the command line.

Once you get command line access you can then see what is really going on.

You will also need to ensure you have an IOS on the card reader, and also the default config file (Which I will post for you up here, but not the IOS), the only thing I fear for you is that the person who sold it to you might have also wiped the flash card, so you may want a reader that can read compact flash cards and check and see what is on the card.

Again I will reiterate, purchase a SMARTnet contract, this is not a home device, it is a business appliance and like anything in business don't take a chance for chances sake.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Thanks, I just ordered SmartNet online, I'll need to wait a few days until it's registered.

But I was able to connect a terminal to the serial port on the UC520.  I did a reset, and set names and passwords but I still can't figure out the settings to get web access through an ethernet port.

Hi,

I'm guessing if you can get CCA, hopefully 2.2.4 you can also get to the latest software for your UC520.

I would suggest, if your Cisco Connection Online (CCO)  userid and password is still valid,  that you go to the small business site again and download the latest version of UC520 software uc520-8.0.2.zip from the following URL;   https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9829

Step 1.  goto the following link which is the technical enablement labs and look at Lab exercise 1.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9836

This should help you navigate around CCA to be able to perform a software upgrade.

Step 2.  Using CCA perform a software upgrade, using the uc500-8.0.2.zip file that your previously downloaded.

Note: there are two tick options to clean flash and restore factory defaults.  Take those tick options.

This will same time, part of the upgrade process is to  reset your UC520's CME as well as CUE back to factory defaults.

Step 3.  After the unit completes the software upgrade and reloads with the new IOS version, you should then be able to get out to the internet,  The default configuration settings allow for DHCP of FastEthernet 0/0 (wan port)  IP interface.

You should then be able to browse the web and use CCA to configure this 'office in a box'  product.

Have fun...

regards Dave

William Paulsen
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, those are very good links to how-to docs.  But unfortunately I can't get CCA to connect to my UC520, I can't figure out how to enable the RJ45 ethernet ports.  The factory reset configuration really does not do a true factory reset - some extra settings are needed.  This was discussed in a posting here a few months ago, but there was no resolution posted.

Hi there,

I can't figure out how to enable the RJ45 ethernet ports.  The factory 
reset configuration really does not do a true factory reset - some extra
 settings are needed.  This was discussed in a posting here a few months
 ago, but there was no resolution posted.

Something is not right there, and i would to see if we can explore this a little further.

Is there a chance you can grab the running configuration of the system?

Please do the following:

1. Fire up putty as per normal
  2. Set putty up so it logs it to a txt file (Put it on your desktop)
  3. Log into the router
  4. ROUTER# sh run (This is the command you will run)
  5. remove all sensitive information from the file
  6. Upload the txt file up here

I really need to see the running configuration to try and understand what is going on.

If possible in a separate document can you do a ROUTER# sh diag

I wait for your response.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Thanks David, I've attached the outputs for sh run and sh diag.

Hi there,

I don't know what your name is so I will just call you Paul (Its in your tag)

Providing that file helped a great deal, I can establish this at least:

1. There is no default config on the system, either something went wrong when you tried to copy over the .cfg to the system, or
  2. You wrote the memory straight after the "copy flash:/ start" command, which would have then overwrote the new default config file
  3. Or some super natural event happened where those little green gremlins are running around in your system, and we need to find a way to arrest them for trespassing

The running configuration is just missing way to much information to operate, as it stands now if you plug something into the FE ports, it will not know what to do with it because there is no config on the system.

Try the following and see if this will work (Although i am not overly hopeful):

ip dhcp relay information trust-all
ip dhcp excluded-address 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.9
ip dhcp excluded-address 10.1.1.241 10.1.1.255
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.10.1 192.168.10.9
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.10.241 192.168.10.255

!
ip dhcp pool phone
   network 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0
   default-router 10.1.1.1
   option 150 ip 10.1.1.1

!
ip dhcp pool data
   import all
   network 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0
   default-router 192.168.10.1

This may (Operative word being MAY) get you up and running so you can at least get CCA operational and reset the system back to factory defaults properly.

You can copy the above and paste it into the system in global configuration level, I have color coded it so you do it in the right order, start with Green first, then Blue and finally Red, do not dump it all at once, do one section at a time and take note of any errors if any that pop up.

I am strapped pretty hard at work today, I have so many requests coming in out of no where, I honestly do not have the time to go over the rest of the config (I will when I get home though tonight).

If this works for you straight away, then you can be sure iw ill have a beer for you and celebrate the success

Talk to you soon Paul

Cheers,

David.

Hi David,

Unless i'm suffering from domestic blindness I did not see a IP configuration for VLAN1 in the show run in Pauls configuration.

If that is the case,  it would also be useful to paste the following commands as well as well as yours when in configuration mode;

interface Vlan1

ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0

ip virtual-reassembly

exit

write mem

Then see if you can get to the UC500 via CCA.  If you can get to CCA perform a software update as per the attached screen capture.

regards Dave

Hi Dave,

Ok you forced me to have a look LOL

Yes your right, so your extra configuration is indeed needed.

Now back to having lunch and getting ready for round two of the ear thumping.

Cheers,

David.

Thanks,

I entered all the commands, but the ethernet port where my PC is plugged into does not give out an IP.  And if I set the PC to a static IP, the UC520 does not respond to pings.

Bill Paulsen

Hi Bill,

We then move to the next level, I would like to remote desktop to your system whilst it has a console cable plugged into the system.

If you can find a way to set this up, and at a time when I am awake I am more then happy to look at this and get it going for you (assuming there is no fault with the hardware).

I will have to log onto your system using Team Viewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/download/index.aspx) and download the quick support to your desktop, i do not have access to WebEx so this will have to do.

If you are up to it, i am willing to do this.

Cheers,

David.

Hi Bill,

Sadly your Internet died on me (Or i broke it ) so I was unable to do any final tests on the system, however I believe I have put it in a state where you can work on it.

Steps you need to follow now:

1. Download Software Pack 8.0.2 (The system is currently running 12.4(20) T1)
  2. Disconnect the UC-500 from anything and everything
  3. Turn of on your PC all other adapters except the Ethernet one (Make sure you disable them)
  4. Connect your PC via network cable to the UC-500 and wait for it to get an IP address
  5. Fire-up CCA and navigate it to connect to 192.168.10.1
  6. Make sure CCA will connect... But do not do anything just yet

Do not attempt to reset it to factory defaults, you have no UC-500 software pack to work of so there will not be a factory default file.

I had tried many times to reset the system back to factory defaults with the .CFG file i uploaded for you, no matter what I did it would not stick, either the file is corrupt (I do not believe so in this instance) or due to the IOS you are running it would not work (Have no clue on this one).

I am fairly certain this should work now, I went beyond just standard configuration and done all your BV's Vlan's and also the Interfaces, nothing was on the system it was quite blank, all the FE ports had no configuration and were all shut down.

Please let me know how it goes, if it works then I am sure you can handle it from there, if not send me another e-mail, and if I am able to i will continue to assist you, but keep in mind once your SMARTnet comes through you will have access to Cisco TAC and they are extremely helpful

Good luck champ.

Cheers,

David.

Thanks for your help, David.  I can't download the 8.0.2 software pack because I don't yet have the SmartNet contract. (I've had to email a photo of the serial number sticker and also a screen shot of the show version command.)

Bill

Hi Bill,

Can you confirm if what i did actually worked? Or havent you had a chance to check?

Cheers,

David.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: