Views
Helpful
Replies

how to build a business case for network virtualization

networks
Level 1
Level 1

hello

i understand the concept of network virtualization in brief. if it has to exist on a network how it looks?

we are looking to ugrade our network infrastructure. we have 6500 switches ( not with 720 sups) as lan gateways.

7200 routers for wan connectivity between multiple sites. 3548 access layer switches

what devices and ugrades will be required if network virtualization is to be deployed. our major project coming is ip telephony. implement voip.

we need PoE switches. like wise with ip telephony how to mix and prepare a business case for network virtualization.

what benefits we can have? we provide 3rd party access to systems.

how do 10 gigabit uplinks, nexus, vss , access layers stack switches fit in and can be used to provide powerful, sustainable, failover proof, high speed, very secure network virtualized network

what technologies, configuration can be used. what business case to prepare?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

fyi

CAPEX = capital expense    

OPEX = operational expense

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hi:

I don't know anything about your network, so I wont try to discuss anything that is specific to it.

In general, the business case to be made for virtualization is that it can result in lower CAPEX and OPEX. CAPEX go down because fewer devices will need to be purchased and OPEX goes down because, with fewer devices, less power, less cooling and less real estate is needed. Basically, the data center's footprint shrinks.

This is a very basic answer.

HTH

Victor

fyi

CAPEX = capital expense    

OPEX = operational expense

Hello Thanks for the reply

in short it shall save cost.

within our network as i have mentioned before

have

7200 routers

6500 switches

access switches 3548

if

we have to make powerful high speed secure virtualizes network

what devices should be in network

what configurations will be required

how do everything fit in

i am looking to have a seperate secure VOIP virtualized network, secure third party access, no STP, fast response for users,

so if 6500 need upgrade what kind of upgrade? what technologies or configuraion is required

how can VSS help here

how to design it

it will useful if someone can explain in a paragraph then a link

thanks

This isn't the sort of thing that can be covered in a paragraph. Virtualizing your network needs a detailed design layout together with a complete understanding of your applications and what you are trying to achieve. Have a look at these links which are Cisco design docs for network virtualisation and then come back if you need further clarification -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/ns340/ns414/ns742/ns743/ns993/dcVirt_netVirt.html

By the way, Victor made an excellent point about cost savings but it does depend on the size of your company and it's requirements eg. for a company of a 100 users network virtualisation is probably complete overkill and could/would end up costing a lot more.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: