Helpful
Replies

CLID import name from AD

susanto.liu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi for all my Senior,

Please help me.

it's possible for CLID automatic synchronize/import first name and last name from AD(AD already sync with CUCM>user management>end users) ?

Regards,

Susanto

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

There is a script one of the forum members developed called "number2name".  It is located here:

http://ciscoscripts.com

I have not tested it myself.  It is a TCL script that runs on the gateway.  To run such an application you would need to ensure that your gateway is running a dial-peer based call signaling protocol, like H.323.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

Susanto,

Bill is right.  The information can't be much more concise.  There is no way to do this natively in CUCM so there aren't any "tips" anyone can give you.  However, I can point out that what you want to do is likely to have more impact on cluster performance than you may know going into it.  Running TCL scripts on gateways, while doable, is not always scalable (depending on how big the environment is and how many PSTN gateways there) and running every call thru a 3rd-party application may not be scalable and could impact performance - possibly quite noticeably.  Imagine if I called you and was listening to dial tone or ring back while CUCM sent my call data to a 3rd-party app that had to then do multiple DB queries and send info back to CUCM before the call came through.  So, think about what your true requirement is and then go from there.  There are 2 choices - TCL script or 3rd-party application.  Which way you go depends on multiple factors that that you need to be cognizant of when determining your requirement.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

+5 to Bill for a strong follow-up and concise review.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you're talking about within the device configurations - no.

However, if you're taking about pulling from AD on inbound calls by lookup via an external DB or LDAP directory, the inherent answer is "no, not natively" but there have been some scripts posted here ob the forums that promise that functionality.

Hailey

Thank You David.

What is a title name / tag name "some scripts posted here ob the forums that promise that functionality" ?

Could You give the link ?

Regards,

Susanto

There is a script one of the forum members developed called "number2name".  It is located here:

http://ciscoscripts.com

I have not tested it myself.  It is a TCL script that runs on the gateway.  To run such an application you would need to ensure that your gateway is running a dial-peer based call signaling protocol, like H.323.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

Thanks for Your help.

So, there is no any tips how to configure on CUCM to make IP Phone Caller internal/external display automatic import/uisng first and last name on AD(LDAP) ?

Regards,

Susanto

Susanto,

Not any more than we have already explained.  The call manager is not able to perform dynamic name resolution based on call setup information.  Other applications can be inserted into the mix to provide this.  For calls from the PSTN, you can use something similar to the TCL script that was referenced earlier or you can look at a 3rd party app that was also listed.  The TCL script would only appy to calls from Off Net callers to On Net (i.e. IP phone) users.  To deal with Station-to-Station calls on net, you would need to pass every call through a 3rd party app to perform the dynamic resolution.  That isn't really scalable.  Now, I am assuming Cisco IP phones.

Some client stations may have additional functionality that I am not aware of but then you are into a whole different world of compatibility testing.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Susanto,

Bill is right.  The information can't be much more concise.  There is no way to do this natively in CUCM so there aren't any "tips" anyone can give you.  However, I can point out that what you want to do is likely to have more impact on cluster performance than you may know going into it.  Running TCL scripts on gateways, while doable, is not always scalable (depending on how big the environment is and how many PSTN gateways there) and running every call thru a 3rd-party application may not be scalable and could impact performance - possibly quite noticeably.  Imagine if I called you and was listening to dial tone or ring back while CUCM sent my call data to a 3rd-party app that had to then do multiple DB queries and send info back to CUCM before the call came through.  So, think about what your true requirement is and then go from there.  There are 2 choices - TCL script or 3rd-party application.  Which way you go depends on multiple factors that that you need to be cognizant of when determining your requirement.

Hailey

+5 to Bill for a strong follow-up and concise review.

Running TCL scripts on gateways, while doable, is not always scalable(depending on how big the environment is and how many PSTN gatewaysthere) and running every call thru a 3rd-party application isn'tscalable and will impact performance - possibly quite noticeably.

Actually, in these days of fast computing, the impact of running a TCL script for every call, triggering a database query (actually a lightweight one as the name LDAP suggests), is absolutely negligible and does not negatively affects anything in no case. Consider for example, massive voice access server like AS5400 that have terminates hundreds of calls simultaneously, do not have any problem in doing that (for IVR, pre-paid, etc), they also run RADIUS queries, and everything works smothless in voip and databases since 10 years now.

Imagine if I called you and was listening to dial tone or ring backwhile CUCM sent my call data to a 3rd-party app that had to then domultiple DB queries and send info back to CUCM before the call camethrough.

Yes you are imagining correctly, the whole process takes 2 or 3 milliseconds, in the meanwhile the call is progressing anyway, and the script is smart enough to never block on query failure, it will simply display "name unknown" instead.

So, if we are not worried about running java-based scripting on CUE on a slow clock Pentium platform, why should we worried for few lines of TCL talking the typical high-performance servers of an enterprise.

Thanks for Your information.

susanto.liu
Level 1
Level 1

I'm sorry for all of You if I'm still don't understand.

I still don't understand why should using TCL on VG for internal CLID ?

Please let's me explain my concern is:

1. When we go to CUCM Admin>Device>Phone>Click: "Line.."

You will see a field "Display (Internal Caller ID): "

2. When go to CUCM>User Management>End User...

You will see a first & last name.

is it possible copy "first & last name" from "CUCM>User Management>End User" to "Display (Internal Caller ID): " ?

Regards,

Susanto

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: