cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need to buy seat licenses form UC Manager (CUCM) 8.0?

igor.good
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there! For CUCM 7.x there were the so called seat licenses. For example, we used to order CUCM 7.x appliance this way:

MCS7816I4-K9-CMC2Unified CM 7.1 7816-I4   Appliance, 0 Seats
LIC-CM7.1-7816=

License Unified CM 7.1 7816 Appliance, 500 seats

But now with CUCM 8.x I can't find any corresponding part number with those seat licenses. Google doesn't help too.

Could anybode tell me do I need to order any other licenses for

MCS7816I4-K9-CMD1Unified CM 8.0 7816-I4 Appliance

or it will work on itself? For CUCM 7.x the need to buy seat licenses almost doubled the price. What's with CUCM 8.0?

P.S. I'm not asking about DLUs or UWL.

Many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I should be more up to speed on this than I actually am, but time is not my ally.  I believe that with the UC 8.0 release there is a new licensing option that is similar to "a la carte" but is compatible with CUWL.  I know you aren't asking about DLU vs. CUWL, bear with me here.  Prior to the recent licensing change, you could either run CUWL or DLU-only, not both.  This presented problems for people.  Also, customers wanted a way to say "I only want dial tone and voicemail, why do I need all these other apps?".  So, Cisco is launching User Connect Licensing (UCL).

My understanding is that with 8.0 and later, your licensing options are UCL or CUWL.  That may be why you don't see the seats bundled.  I recommend you ask your Cisco account team about the UCL licensing option and your question on part numbers in general.  If you are a partner and putting together a quote for a customer, getting advice from this forum is great but you may find that going to your channel SE is more efficient.

[Edit: additional clarification]

- UCL is not a third option.  It is a replacement of the previous "a la carte" licensing.

- UC 8.0 products will support this option as they are released

- CUCM 7.1(5) and later support this option

- UCSS is recommended but not required as it is for CUWL

- There is a basic UCL and an advanced UCL

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts using the stars below.

Message was edited by: William Bell

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I should be more up to speed on this than I actually am, but time is not my ally.  I believe that with the UC 8.0 release there is a new licensing option that is similar to "a la carte" but is compatible with CUWL.  I know you aren't asking about DLU vs. CUWL, bear with me here.  Prior to the recent licensing change, you could either run CUWL or DLU-only, not both.  This presented problems for people.  Also, customers wanted a way to say "I only want dial tone and voicemail, why do I need all these other apps?".  So, Cisco is launching User Connect Licensing (UCL).

My understanding is that with 8.0 and later, your licensing options are UCL or CUWL.  That may be why you don't see the seats bundled.  I recommend you ask your Cisco account team about the UCL licensing option and your question on part numbers in general.  If you are a partner and putting together a quote for a customer, getting advice from this forum is great but you may find that going to your channel SE is more efficient.

[Edit: additional clarification]

- UCL is not a third option.  It is a replacement of the previous "a la carte" licensing.

- UC 8.0 products will support this option as they are released

- CUCM 7.1(5) and later support this option

- UCSS is recommended but not required as it is for CUWL

- There is a basic UCL and an advanced UCL

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts using the stars below.

Message was edited by: William Bell

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

shameers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

-You do not need to purchase the node license which you have stated here

-Till the version 7.1.4 the licenses are server based (LIC-CM7.1-7816= X number of servers + DLU's based on the phone model)

-From the version 7.1.5 onwards the license structure changed to user based (you just need to count the user here)

-The top leve part number for user based license is "CUCM-USR-LIC"

-To know about ordering procedure for 7.15/8.0 UCL based licensing, go through the below ordering guide.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/partner/WWChannels/technology/ipc/downloads/uc_sol_og_ucl_final.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shameer,

World Wide Partner Helpline,

Cisco Systems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: