cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UMC 7x upgrade

dvanzee
Level 2
Level 2

I am getting ready to upgrade our Call Manager cluster.  During the upgrade I will be migrating from Unity 5x to Unity Connection 7x.  During this upgrade I will be staging new hardware for the new connection server. Will I run into licensing issues within Call Manager if I stage the unity connection server before migrating away from Unity 5x?  Meaning running both voicemail platforms at the same time.

9 Replies 9

markcarat
Level 1
Level 1

If you meant the voice mail port in CUCM,  then you don't have to worry about the licensing.  You can create as many voicemail ports in CUCM you wanted.

Mark

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

You will have to get your existing Unity license file re-hosted to your new Unity Connection server (i.e. get the MAC address in the license file changed).

This file is then uploaded to the UCN server along with the license file you will receive when registering the the Unity to Unity Connection PAK code.

You will not have any problems running both Unity and UCN at the same time for the purpose that you state.

Just to add to this thread:  When you get licensing for a migration from Unity to Unity Connection, TAC will provide you a CXN .lic file which is the license file for the system.  They will also rehost your old Unity licensing to the MAC address of the Connection publisher.  If you install the Unity .lic files that were rehosted they are not valid until you install the actual CXN .lic file that was provided as well.  Make sure you do not get any licensing errors when you install the CXN file and that the ports/regions/TTS and etc. counts are correct.

As for running 2 systems at once during migration, CUCM is not aware nor does it care about the licensing on the 2 separate systems.  It just cares about port configurations and appropriate VM settings.

Hailey

Please rate helfpul posts!

Thank you for the Great input!~

I wanted to make sure I could stage the Unity Connection environment and fully test the integration before the upgrade. Then import from Cobras.  It sounds like the only licensing concern I need to keep in mind is the Unity to Unity connection license file? Does this contain my voicemail boxes as well? Where do I obtain this license file from (PUT Tool)?

You will need to send an email to connectionmigration@external.cisco.com and it's always a good idea to CC or just send to licensing@cisco.com as well.  Let them know you're doing a MIGRATION from Unity to Unity Connection.  If you already have your PAK, you can get a permanent migration license and they can also take care of getting the Unity license files taken care of.  Just make sure you're up to date on support (which I'm sure you are if you're upgrading) else it could be an annoying process.  The number of mailboxes, ports, and etc that you are licensed for is contained in the Unity .lic files.  The CXN .lic file makes those files valid on the new Unity Connection system when you are going thru the migration.  You can always set up CUC in advance as it comes with a demo license that allows for 10 users and 2 ports.  So you can get things up and going, then get licensing squared away and continue on with COBRAS.

If you have any issues with the COBRAS part, please let me know.  I have lots of insight and info there.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

So does the rehosting of the unity license remove the licensing from the unity server, or is is possible for both the unity and unity connection servers to be licensed and running at the same time? 

Technically, it's the honor system right now.  In other words, your Unity system can continue to run and the Unity Connection can run separately.  However, after a reasonable period of time (say 30-60 days if you are providing legacy VM access) then you should shutdown the Unity servers permanently.

Hailey

Thanks for the quick reply.  I just want to make sure that I can properly test my Unity Connection migration, including licensing, without disrupting the Unity system that is currently in production.

You should be good. Rehosting the license doesn't do anything to the actual licenses that are installed on Unity. I had a customer earlier this year that migrated from Unity 5 to Unity Connection 7x and they left Unity up for a few weeks just in case they needed the "ultimate backout plan".

Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: